Outside air for an insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
How would you install a outside air kit to a masonry chimney without having to go through the brick. If you reline the chimney and pull air down the chimney with the oak, will you be pulling exhaust back down the stack? How is this done? How did you do yours? Any suggestions? I have a Castile Insert. Tia

I was wondering the same thing. I have a Castile insert in an interior masonry chimney. The installer said I should have plenty of combustion air due to the old house. But I definitly feel a draft coming in through the bottom basement door as air is getting sucked in.

I think Rod (hearthtools) posted pics before of installs
he's done with the outside air and the exhaust at the
top of a chimney. Of course I can't find the threads now...
but, my free standing stove is installed much like an
insert since it sits on the hearth in front of the fireplace
and is vented all the way up the chimney and capped at the top.

I just added outside air this Fall. Easiest way I found
was to route it down through the fireplace ash dump,
then out the basement wall to the outside.
The run is longer than most, but not any longer than it would
have been to go all the way up the chimney.

We have outside air hooked up to our insert. they went through the ash cleanout down through the cellar and out a window. Seems to work fine.

shyann said:
We have outside air hooked up to our insert. they went through the ash cleanout down through the cellar and out a window. Seems to work fine.

I try to use the ash cleanout and line it with cheap dryer vent. Remember screen is it ends outside.

Eric

In the drawling in the manual, it shows the oa pipe stopping at the damper. That would be the way to go. But I'm not sure how the top is capped? Maybe the hot exhaust will not go back down the chimney because of the heat ?????? ANYBODY ? TIA

Groundhog, Im in the same situation. A good draft for the stove isn't a good thing when its being pulled in from the cracks .Lets keep searching for the answer. My feet are cold! Tia

tonyd said:
How would you install a outside air kit to a masonry chimney without having to go through the brick. If you reline the chimney and pull air down the chimney with the oak, will you be pulling exhaust back down the stack? How is this done? How did you do yours? Any suggestions? I have a Castile Insert. Tia
A couple of options - down thru the ash cleanout if there is one, or up thru the flue along with the vent. Doing a flue reline has 2 options - I believe Selkirk sells a pipe that includes both the vent and the OAK in the same piping and then it terminates up at the top using Selkirk components. If you're using Duravent, you'll run the vent pipe straight up alongside a second pipe (can be lower cost metallic dryer vent type) for the OAK. The OAK terminates at the top of the chimney with a 90 and screen. The vent continues up another 12" and is capped with a typical round stovepipe top. That means the OAK will get the cooler (and more importantly fresh) air lower down with the exhaust being distributed above it. The 12" vertical distance keeps the exhaust and the intake air from mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.