outside air for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swalz

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2008
Newark, DE
I was thinking of adding outside air for the combustion to my XXV. Is there a limit you can run the pipe for outside air? To get to the outside without going through the roof I would have to go around 23 to 25 feet. Or can I go into the attic and pull the air from there which would be around ten feet? I want to eliminate the draft that the stove is creating and from what I been reading this would help.

My house is a little over 2400sf one level mostly open so there is a lot of attic space and the roof is vented and there is vents on four side walls also.

According to your manual you can run a maximum length of 15 feet using the standard 2-3/8 inch flex pipe. You can run longer lengths if you increase to a 3 inch flex pipe. It does not state a overall maximum length. Staying as short as possible is probably best. If you need to run around 25 feet, I would think about maybe even increasing larger than 3" just so its not too much resistance trying to draw the air in.

Why not go straight out the wall? It's done all the time and works well.

krooser said:
Why not go straight out the wall? It's done all the time and works well.

No wall to go out, the stove is in a Florida room and all windows on one side and the other goes into another room. Only option is go up through roof in that room. I was thinking of going inside the one wall into the attic then across then out or just into the attic. Not sure if I can pull from the attic, so that was why it was going to be around 25 feet maybe more.

Swalz check your stove installation manual.
Some do imply that drawing cold air from
an attic is acceptable. Every stove has different
requirements so please check your manual, but here is a line
from the installation section of my St Croix:

"Outside air may be drawn from a semi enclosed attic..
take care not to draw air past water pipes that may freeze...."

zeta said:
Swalz check your stove installation manual.
Some do imply that drawing cold air from
an attic is acceptable. Every stove has different
requirements so please check your manual, but here is a line
from the installation section of my St Croix:

"Outside air may be drawn from a semi enclosed attic..
take care not to draw air past water pipes that may freeze...."

I was hoping to bring air from the attic which is the least distance and would be the easiest to do. The manual does not say anything about air from the attic and said after 15 feet to increase to a 3 inch pipe, nonthing on how far it can go. I am going to try to bring the air from the attic now that I know it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.