1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Outside Air Intake does not reduce house humidity

Post in 'The Gear' started by Joey Jones, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Jones

Joey Jones New Member

Loc:
    New hampshire
    Using old stoves in the past has left my house very dry, but with a new E.P.A. stove with an air intake from the outside has not not reduced my house humidity.... So, good and bad news ...Good news is just what I said...that outside air does not decrease humidity in your house. ....Bad news is that these outdoor sucking air stoves need to heat up cold air before proper combustion can occur ...Some trade off there...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    go with the good news!

The bad news part is not really bad news. the indoor air was heated by the stove too, just via heat put into the house or contents, as outside air leaks in around the windows to make up the combusiton air, it has to be heated up to room temp.
    and this way, you only draw in what you need, and from a known point. no cold drafts or floors.
    I have stove with outdoor conection, just have never hooked it up, and I do see the draft drawn in all over.

k
  3. JayD

JayD Member

Loc:
    35 miles north of detroit
    Humidity Jezz, Never gave that a thought? If installed only for that reason ;-) Whats eveyones thoughts on this? Or would the stove still dry out the air? Jay
  4. Joey Jones

Joey Jones New Member

Loc:
    New hampshire
    I think it still does dry out the air like a hot air furnance would or any oil fired boiler....Inside humidity is generally less during the heating season, but with outside air suppling a wood stove the dryness factor is less ...IMHO
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.