Outside Air Intake for Prefab Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

avetter1514

Oct 26, 2017
Indiana
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice. We recently purchased a new house (for us) and this is our first time using the fireplace. It is a "majestic" brand prefab fireplace - probably from the early 1980's. The fireplace has glass doors that close like french doors and latch in place. It also has an outside air intake, along with blowers on both sides of the fireplace.

My question, given that it has the outside air intake, should I be burning this with the doors opened or closed?? The fire actually burns better with the doors closed, as it seems to pull the outside air better. However, it seems like the radiant heat is blocked by the glass.

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be a lot of contradictory information on this subject out there on the web, so i thought i would ask the pros!!

Thanks,
Andy

Find and read the instructions for your fireplace. If they say you can burn with the door closed do it. Yes it will block some of the radiant heat but it will also slow the massive ammouts of heated air being lost out of your house to supply the fire. Are you trying to heat with this unit?

Bholler, thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate a manual, even after searching online for it. Good advice on the doors closed. My biggest concern is that the glass breaks or something from the heat, as I have read online that can sometimes happen?

Bholler, thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate a manual, even after searching online for it. Good advice on the doors closed. My biggest concern is that the glass breaks or something from the heat, as I have read online that can sometimes happen?
Yes that is why you need the manual. What model is it?

Majestic Model # SC4850. I have searched everywhere for it and can't find it. Even contacted Majestic and they are having trouble locating it. Not sure what the deal is.

But to your point, assuming the glass is tempered or something where it won't break, it would be more efficient to burn with the doors closed and the blowers on??

Majestic Model # SC4850. I have searched everywhere for it and can't find it. Even contacted Majestic and they are having trouble locating it. Not sure what the deal is.

But to your point, assuming the glass is tempered or something where it won't break, it would be more efficient to burn with the doors closed and the blowers on??
Yes it would be more efficient. You might break even and not actually loose heat. Did you try calling majestic?