Outside Air Intake Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

avetter1514

Oct 26, 2017
Indiana
Hi Everyone,

I have a prefab fireplace with an outside air intake. My question, do you think the doors on the fireplace need to be shut in order for the fire to draw outside air instead of air from inside the house for combustion??

It's going to draw most of it's air from the path of least resistance. So, if you shut the doors, it'll probably draw more air from the OAK. The question becomes, do you really want to have a fire with the doors shut? Tempered glass doesn't hold up in high heat or over time.

I really like the idea of the doors open, but keep hearing stories about how that is actually going to make my house colder than no fire at all. Shutting the doors seemed like the way around that, and would better utilize my air intake. I also don't want to break my glass as you mention!!

thanks for the reply. I guess i'll just have to trial and error with it for a while.