Outside air kit for Alderlea T6..Does anyone use one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be installing a T6 soon to replace my Lopi Endeaver, and wondered if anyone installed the 4" duct to the outside to supply the air. My house is fairly tight. I feel a little light-headed when running the stove without outside air. How has the outside air kit helped you? Thanks in advance..

If you're feeling light-headed, that's a SERIOUSLY tight house; maybe crack a window rather than be unsafe. Are you sure all other appliances are venting OK? Dryer, furnace, etc. all send air outside and need to take it from somewhere too.

Maybe a better way of stating it is you can become sleepy with stove running in evening. I find any heating system does this to some effect. I would attribute that to the stove lessening the amount of oxygen in the house after hours of operation. I would think using the outside air connection would lessen the effect. Everything is vented properly in the house and it is fairly tight. I wondered others experience on this issue and if anyone feels the outside air connection is unnecessary. Happy wood burning...

in theory, you will not be pulling heated air from the house in order to supply burn air to the fire just to shoot it up the chimney and out... in reality a certain amount of air exchange in any dwelling is important... I have a hookup for OAK built into the hearth.. I took out the flex line from the stove to hearth, left the rest installed, and covered the hole with a chunk from an old hot air furnace air filter. I got tired of the condensation drips on my hearth on cold nights from it. Now that it is to some point feeding that room with air, the room has been more breathable. There is a small cold spot on the hearth there,but its to the rear of the stove and the stove is always running so it goes away quickly after i FIRE 'ER UP.

Within the link i posted above, if you take the time to read it, a stove shop owner on the left coast, states that OAK's are required in his state. They could be required in your area as well, consult your city/town/building inspector. So you may not have a choice in the matter.

Every home should have a functioning CO alarm/monitor so that would be your first clue that CO is an issue, and I do not "buy" the statement that the oxygen level is lower in the home during/after burning a wood stove. I will accept that we do fall asleep in a warm room.

I currently have a stove installed w/permits from the county and it does not have an oak. I wanted to see anyone with the T6 experience with or without the oak. It seems another option would to have a 4" vent hole, low and near the stove. Madison, thanks for the post. I did read it. I would guess that the oxygen levels decrease more in a house with an oak than without but the sleepy feeling more from a warm room like you said.

Funny, I notice the same thing. Around the evening, when sitting on the couch by the stove, I tend to have trouble staying awake. In addition to the room oxygen being sucked up the stove, I attribute it to the beer in my bloodstream inhibiting the O2 absorption. Oh, and meals make it even worse, as does any Lifetime movie my wife has on. Must be interacting with some chemical in my couch.

Seriously, I think you're fine either way, I already had it so used it. My feeling is doesn't hurt, might help. Takes a few minutes and a few $, but not much more than that. Unless you have a tiny house built using SIPS, TYvek, and with every possible crevice sealed, you've probably got enough infiltration and air exchange to not use it, but if you honestly notice a difference and are concerned about O2 levels, then go ahead use it. Just screen the intake from critters...!

Our results are it seems to draw the same, stovetop temps are the same, etc. and we have a 35' OAK - 25' of 4" and 10-12' of 3" into the stove.

Sleepy? Have you checked your carbon monoxide levels for kicks n giggles? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.