Outside Air Kit Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 3 inch flexible aluminum dryer vent with a 3 inch through the wall dryer tube with hood. If you go this route you just have to be sure to take the flap off the end since this is designed for air to flow out of. This works great for me. Each stove I believe has a kit that you can buy for about $60, this setup cost me <$20. I also insulated the outside of the pipe.

Same here, mine was only about $20.00 in parts. My stove uses a 4" dryer duct, so you might want to check to see what size you have.

I did something similar but ended up using a bizarre copper part to go from 2" to 3"
still looking ffor a good solution to putting a screen on the outside dryer vent instead of leaving it open to debris gettin sucked in.

The intake on the back of my stove is about 1 3/4" O.D.

Seems like an odd size. Shouldn't it be 3". Isn't 3" the size that the kits use?

I just ordered an OAK from dynamitebuys.com for my sister's stove. It was $31.25 shipped, and it showed up in 3 days. It's made by Simpson Duravent and looks like the kit that comes with Englander Stoves. The pipe is not 3" ID, I'd say it's more like 2" ID. The pipe will collapse around the air inlet on your stove pretty easily.

Thanks. I'll check that site out.
I always thought that the fresh air kits that I've seen looked smaller than regular 3" flex hose.

As are the one's I've seen online. My Harman needed a larger hose, the inlet OD was almost 3" so I had an adapter made at a local muffler shop.

lucky13 said:
Thanks. I'll check that site out.
I always thought that the fresh air kits that I've seen looked smaller than regular 3" flex hose.

Dynamitebuys.com is a good company to deal with.....great prices, free shipping, good customer service.

Eric at Kinsman stoves is a great person to do business with too.....very knowledgeable, very helpful.

Got the kit in the mail today. Drilled the hole in the wall and hooked it up, very simple.
The air being pulled in is very subtle.

On the Quadra Fire Castille they make it "nearly"(but not) impossible to make shift an OAK with ease. The OAK kit for it has a special covering that run around to the bottom where the air inlet hole is....think I'll just buy the kit.

Yeah. At first I was going to piece something together, but this kit was 30.00 so I figured what the hell.
What really sold me on putting in an OAK was the logical thinking that you are pulling your already heated room air into the stove then blowing it outside, all the while pulling in cold outside air from all the cracks in the house, then having to heat that air all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.