Outside Air Kit install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timnus

May 1, 2013
Central PA
I am still new here and I am looking to install an Outside Air Kit to my stove (Progress Hybrid) and was wondering if I could use 6" Flexible Insulated duct to run the first 20 feet from the outside of house up to a 5" metal duct that takes it for the last 6 feet to an elbow and up to the stove?

I figured that having the insulated duct would keep the cold from affecting the basement, but I'm not sure if there is any concern for combustibles in the OAK duct work. Also, I will probably only want to drill a 4" hole in the side of my house for the intake, but then go up to either the 6" insulated flexible duct or 5" metal duct. I will have 2 elbows before the last elbow which directs it straight up to the stove on the hearth (all the elbows are to get around a staircase in the basement). The overall length of the duct work is about 26 feet.

1. Is there a need to have a 5" hole for the intake or will a 4" work fine?
  2. Will the plastic flexible duct work be ok for this use?
  3. Will all the elbows affect the air flow?
  4. Will the uneven surface of the flex duct affect air flow?
  5. Is the overall length too long for an OAK?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all I have learned from you already and continue to learn.

A long run of pipe plus elbows is going to add restriction to the oak intake. Try to avoid elbows if possible by making a gentle sweep with the flex. Use metal not plastic flex or straight rigid venting pipe. The stove manual should say how long an oak run can be. If not, call Woodstock's tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.