Outside Air Kit Installation Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warrior327

Nov 25, 2012
I am currently in the process of installing a HE ZC Fireplace. The installation has went well except for now I am stumped with how to install the OAK. If you look at the front of the fireplace the OAK adapter are located on the right side. My problem would be if I were to install this on the right side I hwould have to go underneath the fireplace into the 2x10 sill plate that has the fireplace, and walls framed on it to be able to try and get to the outside of the house. BTW the OAK is 5 inches in diameter with another inch of insulation wrap. With all this said the only thing I can think to do is run the OAK straight up into the attic which I don't want to do because the instructions say not to basically. I am not sure how you guys feel about running an OAK into the attic and drawing air from it, but if I can't find a solution the only other thing I can even think of is to look into flue pipe that has an adapter that draws air to the fireplace. Something Duravent creates I believe.

Does anyone install OAK's through the attic, if not what is the reason?

Is anyone familiar with the DuraVent combustion air pipe? Anyone have one installed do they work good? Worth the investment?

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks

You don't want the OAK turning into a chimney. Keep the intake low.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.