Outside Air Kit - Oak - My research after investigating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you have an outside air kit attached to your stove?

• Total voters
i detect sarcasm.
I did too but that fun stuff tends to fly over heads. I get it and that's why I have an OAK. I can be about as sarcastic as they come. Reread my drive it home post about the people gasping for O2 above. Now I'm really cornfused. LOL! Who said beating a dead dog can't be fun. Sick, but fun if you're a little twisted.

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the above statement. Do not try this at home.

Reactions: Keifer2669
I did not notice any regards to humidity levels in the house. If you have to humidify air in your house, an OAK is a definite benefit versus pulling more dry air into the house and trying to keep the humidity levels where you want.

Reactions: bags
+1 point to anyone who can list the laws of thermodynamics, and +2 points for anyone who knows that those laws don't really apply to stoves.

I know the 4 laws of thermo. The biggie that applies is energy cant be created nor destroyed and also the zeroth law.

How many point for liking my OAK and not giving a rats butt about the laws of thermodynamics..

Reactions: Tonyray and F4jock
How many point for liking my OAK and not giving a rats butt about the laws of thermodynamics..
Actually lots because, if I remember them correctly, the four laws have little to do with the subject under discussion in this thread.

There is no way anyone will suffocate with nor without the use of an OAK. Homes are not that tight to begin with. That's like saying you have to leave a window or door cracked year round so you get your needed oxygen. Your statement is confusing to me. What is it you are trying to say? The point you are making is?

That would be a throw up your hands, hit your head against the wall, frustrated response ... a wee bit of sarcasm, you bet!

Reactions: Keifer2669
Thats maybe the smartest answer but it means you arent playing the game and therefore you dont get any pts.

heres an arguement worth +1 pt: Not using an oak means that inside air is used and that air has less oxygen available for the fire because people have been breathing in the house.

heres an arguement worth +2 pts: CFM physics of cold air acceleration and turbo vortices, mass flow volume rate; hot air stays in the house and also QED.

Also no points given for real facts, but obviously your scorecards may vary.

Thats maybe the smartest answer but it means you arent playing the game and therefore you dont get any pts.

heres an arguement worth +1 pt: Not using an oak means that inside air is used and that air has less oxygen available for the fire because people have been breathing in the house.

heres an arguement worth +2 pts: CFM physics of cold air acceleration and turbo vortices, mass flow volume rate; hot air stays in the house and also QED.

Also no points given for real facts, but obviously your scorecards may vary.
-1 for possible misuse of the term QED. We need an official ruling.

-1 for possible misuse of the term QED. We need an official ruling.

After official review, the ruling on the field stands! 15 yard penalty and automatic first down!

[and no, i have not been watching too much football!!!!]

To keep it on point: I've got OAK installed for 30-NC, despite what the installer wanted, recommended or otherwise.

After official review, the ruling on the field stands! 15 yard penalty and automatic first down!

[and no, i have not been watching too much football!!!!]
I'm appealing to the comissioner and there's no such thing!

Wonder how many pages we can get to on this OAK discussion before it gets OAK'ed? Over And Killed. Isn't page 6 about the time we start talking about cars, Dr. Phil, and football?==c

Wonder how many pages we can get to on this OAK discussion before it gets OAK'ed? Over And Killed. Isn't page 6 about the time we start talking about cars, Dr. Phil, and football?==c
I won't tell 'em if you won't.;)

I think the last time it got nuked was when we got sidetracked on the merits of OAK-modded J79's vs. non-OAK'd J79's. But I could be dreaming.

Ok, seriously, I don't understand why this is such a big mystery or even why it's even a controversy - at all!

It's a simple concept: Do you want to heat the air in your home once or twice? The only other possible issue is the one of safety wherein the stove manufacturer requires it for certain installations (i.e. 30-NC for mobile home applications). Someone please explain why this is so controversial, please!

I think the last time it got nuked was when we got sidetracked on the merits of OAK-modded J79's vs. non-OAK'd J79's. But I could be dreaming.

Ok, seriously, I don't understand why this is such a big mystery or even why it's even a controversy - at all!

It's a simple concept: Do you want to heat the air in your home once or twice? The only other possible issue is the one of safety wherein the stove manufacturer requires it for certain installations (i.e. 30-NC for mobile home applications). Someone please explain why this is so controversial, please!
Simple: Feelings over physics.

Reactions: acammer

F4Jock nailed it. Feelings over facts (and knowledge of physics).

I took a couple of days away and it still rages on...

Reactions: Keifer2669 and bags
Put a fan in your window blowing out in the winter. Do you think it will help with heating your house?

Moey's getting real, real short and sweet. ;lol;lol

If your eyes do this when you turn your pellet stove on, you might need an OAK.

picture.php

I wouldn't worry about inlet air temperature affecting the cleanliness of combustion on your stove.

You can just open the damper a tad more if you notice any difference in flame performance.

In MOST stoves there is more air being drawn from the house than just through the actual combustion air inlet.

There is a significant amount of air flowing in through the glass wash and through the hopper if, both of which pull from inside the house.

The other than MOST stoves have gasketed hoppers and ducts that lead to the combustion air inlet for the glass wash.

Curious about posters using the combustion blower cfm rating as the standard to calculate air exchange in a heated space.
Assuming the stove is running, the exhaust consists of products of combustion, excess air and a small amount of unburnables (ash).
All of this except the ash is expanded to a larger volume by being at a much higher temperature than the ~70 degree F indoor air used without an OAK.
I assume the air actually taken from the source to be of a smaller volume than that which the combustion blower sends out, therefore a calculation of air exchange via a hot stove should be based on intake air volume.

I know it is still a substantial amount being drawn into the firebox, and therefore taken out of the heated space, just not quite as much as the combustion fan cfm would suggest.
Anybody got thoughts on that? Is the difference between firebox intake volume and exhaust volume considered not significant? Or are people just using combustion blower cfm to simplify the discussion?

Using 20 degree cold air and 400 degree hot air, the latter seems to be greater in volume by 86% by Charles' law. V2/V1 = T2/T1 in degrees K at constant pressure. A pellet stove is not as simple as expansion of plain air, admittedly.

Bernoulli's equation is probably the tool to use rather than the ideal gas law?

Put a fan in your window blowing out in the winter. Do you think it will help with heating your house?
Well in all fairness it would make the pellet stove run longer before reaching temp I guess that could help heat the cold spots from them cycling quicker....:p

I know this is an old thread with much debate but here's my experience. House was gutted and remodeled out in the country and not much wind break, 60 yrs old on a slab but pretty efficient from the windows to insulation. Unfortunately it's isnt perfect. I have a Winslow pi 40 sat into an old but awesome looking brick fireplace. I was getting the draft and air leaks that people were speaking of so I rented a 2" boring bit and heavy duty hammer drill, bored through 15" of wall and threaded 2" flexo pipe for exhaust work from advance auto which cost $16 and connected to the stove. I siliconed where the pipe and brick are on the outside and siliconed in place a 3" drain cover over the pipe for bugs and mice which I got at lowes for $3. As I type this THERES no draft what so ever as compared to before and the glass is as clean now as this morning when I cleaned it, which it would be greying up a bit by now. It's in the 30's and my stove is on 1 and its 74 in a 1950 sq ft house. I can't say the stove is burning any better but I can say the house is a few degrees warmer from front to back due to no drafts. Total cost including the drill rental was about $70.