Outside Air Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vav

Feb 10, 2014
Middletown, NY
I’m installing a Breckwell 23I insert pellet stove. I have my liner kit all set.

But I was wondering about the outside air intake. I know this has been

discussed at length, but this is a how do I do it question. I live in a bi level

house with fireplace downstairs. Ground level is about 4ft above the firebox

so that puts it “underground”. I don’t want to run it 25ft to the top of chimney

I don’t have a cleanout on the chimney outside. Just a cinder block chimney

With tera-cota liner on outside of house. Obviously the liner will run the 25ft to cap on top of chimney.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Steve

If you are running your liner to the cap, why not teminate the OAK in the flue, part way up & above the block off?. Your cap should have some sort of plate to hold it to the flue tiles & it can be sealed to prevent water penetration, yet still allow combustion air to flow in...

I'll ride on DAKSY's suggestion but embellish it a bit: consider penetrating the outside of the chimney with a 4" by 4" opening about 3 to 4 feet above grade. Run the OAK flex up next to the vent flex, but turn it into the opening. Then seal around the terracotta generously with the same sealant you'll use for the chimney cap. The 4x4 opening in the cinder block you'll fill with ordinary mason's cement.

One thing that's annoying about OAKs that run 4 to 8 feet vertical is that they can develop an aggressive push of cold (sinking) air. Like a chimney in reverse. This is less of a problem for the stoves that have a tight "fresh air inlet" connection, but if yours has a stub pipe on the back of the insert that goes into the "general area" under the hopper, you'll likely find cold air "spilling out the surround of the insert" when not in use.

Reactions: DAKSY
I'll ride on DAKSY's suggestion but embellish it a bit: consider penetrating the outside of the chimney with a 4" by 4" opening about 3 to 4 feet above grade. Run the OAK flex up next to the vent flex, but turn it into the opening. Then seal around the terracotta generously with the same sealant you'll use for the chimney cap. The 4x4 opening in the cinder block you'll fill with ordinary mason's cement.

One thing that's annoying about OAKs that run 4 to 8 feet vertical is that they can develop an aggressive push of cold (sinking) air. Like a chimney in reverse. This is less of a problem for the stoves that have a tight "fresh air inlet" connection, but if yours has a stub pipe on the back of the insert that goes into the "general area" under the hopper, you'll likely find cold air "spilling out the surround of the insert" when not in use.

Thank You Great Info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.