Outside chimney installation help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
alaska
I want to install a thru the wall insulated chimney in the bottom floor of our split entry house. I have a Jotul #4 Combifire piped in the back. My question concerns the 2ft cantilevered second floor overhang we have to go around for the top floor. Do you suggest I go straight back through the wall from the stove horizontally (total distance 4ft) or should I put two 15 degree elbows in? Distance from the through wall to the bottom of the second floor is about 5ft. I understand the need for a cleanout T but am will to disassemble for cleaning. I also intend to build a chase around the piping to the top of the chimney. I think the total height from thru wall to chimney top will be about 18ft. I live in SC Alaska and we have occasional temps down to -20f. Any help would be appreciated as I am concerned about getting the best draw and ease of constructing.

I would minimize the horizontal run and go with the elbows.
Slope the horizontal uphill a bit too (1/4" per foot, if possible).

That's gonna be a fun one to clean if you go with the elbows, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.