Outside combustion blower - which stoves, anyone using?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boil&Toil

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2014
SW Vermont
Craigslist had an envrio mini (I think it was) I should have bought, but given the age of the post when I found it and the fact that the poster didn't get back to me and then the ad vanished, I expect they forgot to remove the ad when it sold. It got me to looking at the manual, though, and I noticed a VERY nice feature (which I have tried searching on, but I can't seem to get the search results I want since outside air kit results clutter up my results.)

The exhaust blower can be unbolted, an adapter put in its place in the stove, and the blower put in a box that mounts to the outside wall of your house - so the whole pellet exhaust inside the house is at negative pressure, rather than the typical negative pressure stove, positive pressure exhaust.

That seemed to me to be brilliant and a really good idea. SO I'm wondering if it's common, or what other stoves might have that as a supported option (I can see several other Enviro models offer it, though not all do), and would also like to hear from anyone using that type of setup, as to whether it's as good as I think it would be, or not. Seems like the blower would see lower temperatures, and in some ways be easier to clean (of course you have to be out in the cold to clean it, but it's not messing up your living room, either.)

If anyone has tried it as an unsupported self-modification, I'd love to hear about that as well, but I'd guess it's too much insurance risk to be worthwhile done that way.

Have seen that,do not know of any others.Have thought about a shoulder stove upstairs,and that would be nice.

- so the whole pellet exhaust inside the house is at negative pressure, rather than the typical negative pressure stove, positive pressure exhaust.

That seemed to me to be brilliant and a really good idea. SO I'm wondering if it's common, or what other stoves might have that as a supported option

KMP in Sweden makes an outside combustion blower for their series of pellet stoves, the 'KMP Drag'. See illustration from the installation/owners manual:
KMP Drag.jpg

Note: This blower can only be used with the KMP stoves, since it is controlled by the controlboard in the stove.
Here we see a combined installation of the KMP Drag and the smallest KMP pellet stove the 'Lilla Frö' ( the little frog )

One is puzzling me, when I compare the impeller in the drawing with the one they are installing in the Youtubeclip, they are different. On the drawing it is the finned type impeller and on the install it is the squirrel cage type. Hmm, maybe they realized that the squirrel cage type has a higher effiency??
KMP Drag installation.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.