Outside dura vent pipe temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I went out to check the exterior dura vent Pipe for the heck of it.
It is 24 degrees out brrrr, and the pipe is quite warm almost to warm to hold it about 1 ft above the clean out tee.
Is this the norm? I don't expect the pipe to be stone cold but am I losing heat here?
Also I shined the flash light up into the cap were smoke comes out actually blueish smoke tonight and to my surprise some grey ash up in the vent cap is that the norm?
I have been checking the clean out tee and so far so good not much ash at all.

My pipe isn't outside so I can't comment on the temp
but I can tell you that after a season of 3 tons thru
my stove there's only ash in the cleanout cap and
nothing up higher that would block the exhaust flow
so you don't have to keep checking it like that.
If it makes you feel better, run a ton through the
stove then open the cap and you'll see what I mean.

pelletizer said:
It is 24 degrees out brrrr, and the pipe is quite warm almost to warm to hold it about 1 ft above the clean out tee.
Is this the norm? I don't expect the pipe to be stone cold but am I losing heat here?
Also I shined the flash light up into the cap were smoke comes out actually blueish smoke tonight and to my surprise some grey ash up in the vent cap is that the norm?

My pipe is very warm outside. Can't hold my bare hand on it more than 5 seconds or so when the stove is kicking like Van Damn. Seems normal. I'm 6 feet vertical with a tee and a jet cap.

I have 6 ft vertical as well sounds like I am ok thanks Flashbang,

Zeta, I checked the clean out earlier and there was about a table spoon of brown dust,
But I did shine flash light up the pipe and there is a fine coating of light dust or soot lining the entire inside of the pipe kinda surpried me for only burning about 7 bags. I did change my low air from 4 to 6 but I don't think that would push more dust up the vent pipe?

Thx

my vent pipe is inside, up and then out. It gets very warm. Can hold my hand on it for about 5 seconds near the clean out tee and a tad bit cooler as you go up the pipe. It's normal.

I should have done the inside then out, why have a hot pipe heating the outside?
You are getting the extra heat inside.

I'm not sure about it adding to the heat inside, that's possible. I just like the look on the outside of my home better. See pics.

Attachments

• PIC_0013.JPG
    PIC_0013.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 214
  • PIC_0014.JPG
    PIC_0014.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 223
pelletizer said:

sounds normal to me.
I only brush out the vent pipe at the end of the season and check it again in the fall
to make sure wasps didn't move in during the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.