Outside fresh Air Kit and Condensation Problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaCub

Apr 4, 2008
Interior Alaska
I have a P68 in my 5 star construction home (sealed very tight) and realized very quickly that I need a fresh air kit to maintain an optimum amount of draft during start up and cool down and now am being told that there is massive condensation issues up here because of the extreme sub zero air that is brought into the house via the fresh air intake. To the point of the pipe inside being a big chunk of frost/ice leaking all over the place. Can anyone confirm this and or is there a way to prevent it?

My p61 did the same thing. I wrapped it in that silver insulating tape from Lowes. You cant really see it as its behind the stove, but that helped it.

AlaskaCub said:
I have a P68 in my 5 star construction home (sealed very tight) and realized very quickly that I need a fresh air kit to maintain an optimum amount of draft during start up and cool down and now am being told that there is massive condensation issues up here because of the extreme sub zero air that is brought into the house via the fresh air intake. To the point of the pipe inside being a big chunk of frost/ice leaking all over the place. Can anyone confirm this and or is there a way to prevent it?

mine does this also. Its normal. I use a flex pipe for the intake which got rust spots quick. I just wrapped aluminum foil around the pipe and it looks fine

Status
Not open for further replies.