Outside temp and draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, well it was in the upper 40's lower 50's today so want to see how the 13-nc would do. Well It started just fine I was trying a top down burn for the first time. I was getting a stove top temp of 550 and a flue temp of 200 to 300 max. There seems to be a good secondary burn and very little smoke from the chimney once it got going good. When the temp is colder outside will I get a better draft and a hotter flue and chimney temp? Or is it OK on the newer stoves to have a lower flue temp as long as not getting much smoke. I did get a moisture meter and the wood was showing 19%. Thanks for the help just trying to get used to the new stove. I was used to all the smoke and creosote that I used to get.
Don

Draft varies with temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, wind and other factors - but it is a good sign that you can get it going now.

The flue temps will vary greatly depending on where you are taking it (distance above the stove, external thermometer, probe thermometer), but if the stove is heating up well and no smoke is coming out the chimney - it sounds like you are a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.