Outside to Inside Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Strand III

Nov 20, 2005
NW MI near nowhere
I've got the burning part down.

It's time to raise my level of neatness and decrease the work load and floor mess of getting outside wood into the house.

I'm thinking of a wood shed immediately outside the house with a door that penetrates (love that word)
the building envelope into the (inside storage bin ?) located near the wood stove.

My criteria for this: critter proof, weather proof, dry and insulated.

Who has sketches, drawings, plans, ideas to share?

Aye,
Marty

I tend to move the wood from my shed to a "week's" supply on the porch and then from the porch to my woodbox . . . this tends to help minimize the mess.

However, for what you described . . . it seems to me that not too long ago a member was here and showed an insulated box that allowed him to stack a decent supply of wood next to his stove without traipsing through the house . . . of course I can't remember who it was or exactly when the post appeared.

Marty S said:

It's time to raise my level of neatness and decrease the work load and floor mess of getting outside wood into the house.

I'm thinking of a wood shed immediately outside the house with a door that penetrates (love that word)
the building envelope into the (inside storage bin ?) located near the wood stove.

Aye,
Marty

How much wood are you talking about storing? More than a few days worth makes me uneasy because of the potential for carpenter ants, boring beetles, termites, etc...migrating from the wood to your house. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's the primary reason I plan to do a separate boiler shed for my gasifier when we build new.

I have an 8'x18' addition off my mud room which 12' of serves as furnace room and a couple weeks of wood storage and 6' serves as outside wood shed. I have 2 hatches that serve as wood entry points. One that accesses the shed and another that faces the yard where I have extra wood stacked.
The shed I fill to the rafters (4 cords) and I pull the wood in through the hatch from the inside just like I pile it in (first in ,first out). The other hatch has wood piled up close but is still accessible so that wood that I may have stored elsewhere can be thrown in at any time. I have some large industrial wire baskets that hold about a face cord of scrapwood that I store in another outbuilding that are brought up with a forklift and thrown in for shoulder season. Then when winter sets in and the snow gets deep I work the shed and pile close by so I don't have to deal with deep snow.
I love the set up and it saves me an unbelievable amount of time and keeps the mess in one spot .

Badfish740 said:
Marty S said:

Aye,
Marty

How much wood are you talking about storing? More than a few days worth makes me uneasy because of the potential for carpenter ants, boring beetles, termites, etc...migrating from the wood to your house. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's the primary reason I plan to do a separate boiler shed for my gasifier when we build new.

I'd like a face cord in the thing ready to go. That much won't bug me.

Any more ideas out there? From what I've read above, I can't exactly get started...

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.