Outside wall brackets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the standard/norm for the spacing between wall brackets. This is for the vertical SS pipe going up the outside of the house. My SS pipe sections are four feet and the diameter is six inches. My dealer told me that it is every five feet. To me, that sounds too close. What are your opinions?

thanks!

My set up is different now but when my stove was in the house the 3x metal chimney ran up the outside wall to 28', which includes 2' in a pit below ground level. I had 5 brackets. Two below the 1st floor roof connected to the side of the house and a block chimney. Three above the 1st floor roof line with two hooked into the 1st floor roof and the block chimney and one connected to the 2nd floor roof and the block chimney. Many single story homes that I have seen, where the chimney clears the center peak, use two brackets while others I have seen use three. When I installed mine I figured I had a lot of chimney up high that would put a lot of pressure on the brackets when the wind blew and I had a lot of exposed chimney that didn't have the side of the house to protect it. That chimney stood for 17-18 years with out real issues and went through some real hard winds. The 5' recommended by the dealer sounds good. It might be overkill but mine was close to that and was pretty stable...Cave2k

Aside from the issue of cost, extra brackets won't hurt anything... To get the official rule on proper spec, go to the manufacturer's website or manual, which should specifiy the required MINIMUM number of brackets.

Gooserider

thanks...I went with five foot spacing. The last brackets at the top were closer. Very stable up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.