Oven Light Burnout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Recently, after many years of using the same oven light bulb, the light bulb burned out, and now two replacement bulbs also have burned out after only 2-4 weeks. There has been no change in oven use. Any thoughts? The luck of the draw in getting two bad oven bulbs? High voltage leak to the 120V light bulb circuit?

Make sure you replace it with an appliance-rated bulb. The high heat does kill regular bulbs for some reason. The bulb probably runs off the same leg of the 220, so if the voltage were high, the clock, etc, would probably fry, too.

Get the bulb that says high heat or for oven use
Regular bulbs don't last

I built my place in '96 & still have the original oven light bulb.

The two replacement bulbs I used that quickly burned out both were oven rated, and after the first burned out I bought a different brand for the second. I'll try one more time and see what happens. Thanks for thinking about this.

Be sure that you are using correct lamps. Well, I guess that you should better take out the oven and repair all its wires and the light socket (it is not making good contact I think).

check your voltage at the socket. then when you replace your bulb if the voltage is ok put the bulb in and while watching the the bulb turn on the oven and off and also one burner at a time to see if any one of those things make the light get bright. if the light gets brighter with the oven or burners being turned on then you should check the ground on a 3 prong plug or the neutral on a 4 prong plug set up to make sure there is a good working ground or neutral if you lose a neutral on the outlet things like this will happen

As fbelec suggested, I'm also inclined to think there is a fault that caused all three lamps to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.