Oven thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ctregan

Nov 12, 2022
Upstate NY
Has anyone ever used an oven thermometer for the top of a wood stove? It wouldn’t be good for the flue because of the heat but could work on the stove surface I’d like to get thermometers on a few different parts of the stove. This is much cheaper than the specialty wood stove gear.
Thanks!

Oven thermometer

An oven thermometer will not be too accurate because it is not in direct contact with the stove body. It also may have components that are not safe at the higher temps a wood stove top can reach. And the scale range stops too early.

I used one almost identical to that all last winter just because we had it on hand. It will give you no idea of actual stove top temperature.

our stove ran well when the oven thermometer read between 225 and 275-300 degrees.

as it turns out, that equates to about 500 to 650-700 degrees when measured with an ir gun.

I wonder what the true temperature was when the oven thermometer hovered near 400 degrees a few times..?!

anyway, now with an IR gun and a probe thermometer I have a better idea. I will soon not need those anymore because I'm getting a pretty good clue where I am at with the new stove.

short answer; it will give you a relative idea that is nowhere near true temperature. And it takes a long, long time to get up to it's wildly inaccurate readings.

Thanks! I’ll save the oven thermometer for my world famous brownies. Time to find a real wood stove gauge…
Will you consider shipping some brownies to Canada.😁

Thanks! I’ll save the oven thermometer for my world famous brownies. Time to find a real wood stove gauge…

The inferno off Amazon is a good one.. its more accurate.. its a stove pipe thermometer but I use it for the top of the stove also..