Over fire control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Man you guys run hot. Anything over 700 is too hot for me. I like 650 tops.

Reactions: NickW and weee123
For me it's just where my stove likes to run. A full load of oak will not cruise at 600 the secondaries will die down and it will smolder. It just wants to be 700. I don't have a problem with it, it's an easy breathing steel stove it can handle it. I personally don't like seeing 800 like I said before but honestly that's probably fine too for short bursts.

Sorry guys. I somehow got on this thread as one of the suggested threads at the bottom of the page. I’m out of my lane as far as stove brands go, but was just joining in on the runaway conversation.

Sorry guys. I somehow got on this thread as one of the suggested threads at the bottom of the page. I’m out of my lane as far as stove brands go, but was just joining in on the runaway conversation.
No need to apologize. I think it's a very relevant topic for folks with these stoves. I personally find everyone's burning habits and opinions very valuable to add to my own experience. Glad you're sharing!

Totally agree. Every stove if different. I had 4x 12% oak large chunks N/S on top of a very dry E/W split with a gap in the middle and I was worried when the STT kept climbing after 750. PE said stove can handle it but don’t want to repeat my poor loading technique LOL.

Totally agree. Every stove if different. I had 4x 12% oak large chunks N/S on top of a very dry E/W split with a gap in the middle and I was worried when the STT kept climbing after 750. PE said stove can handle it but don’t want to repeat my poor loading technique LOL.
The best way to control STT is loading technique and controlling exposed surface area. It can get away from you real fast if you are too loose and expose too much wood. I like to pack it densely and add more air if necessary versus pack it loosely and pray I can turn it down enough. The only time I go for a loose load is if I'm going for a quick take the edge off small fire. Normally I'll sit there and Tetris in the perfect piece!

Reactions: ctreitzell
The best way to control STT is loading technique and controlling exposed surface area. It can get away from you real fast if you are too loose and expose too much wood. I like to pack it densely and add more air if necessary versus pack it loosely and pray I can turn it down enough. The only time I go for a loose load is if I'm going for a quick take the edge off small fire. Normally I'll sit there and Tetris in the perfect piece!
Agree Caw. I saw how you load E/W and that’s what I normally do. My fault I left 4 chunks exposed to off gas at once. It was a secondary inferno. Wife was nervous. I got 5 splits in now on my 275 STT reload and no issues. Mix of cherry and oak. Should climb to 600.

My loose loads are AM cold starts.

Reactions: ctreitzell
What happened with mine was it got hot enough to suck all the ashes out, and built a tunnel under the logs. I was propped up on an invisible grate until it collapsed. I had time to experiment though.

Reactions: Wildflush
Agree Caw. I saw how you load E/W and that’s what I normally do. My fault I left 4 chunks exposed to off gas at once. It was a secondary inferno. Wife was nervous. I got 5 splits in now on my 275 STT reload and no issues. Mix of cherry and oak. Should climb to 600.

My loose loads are AM cold starts.
I know you've seen it before but I snapped a pic just now of my overnight reload. I could definitely fit another flat piece or two on top but it's not that cold out and still 69 in here. There's almost no way for this to run away from me given the tight pack unless I simply walk away and forget about it.

Maple on the coals and one big piece in the middle surrounded by oak. I find that mixed loads always give me the best burns. Oak is King around here but it works best for me with a faster burning wood like maple or cherry to jump start the off gassing and get temps up fast. 100% oak loads can be finicky to start if the box isn't hot enough.

1000001072.jpg

I know you've seen it before but I snapped a pic just now of my overnight reload. I could definitely fit another flat piece or two on top but it's not that cold out and still 69 in here. There's almost no way for this to run away from me given the tight pack unless I simply walk away and forget about it.

Maple on the coals and one big piece in the middle surrounded by oak. I find that mixed loads always give me the best burns. Oak is King around here but it works best for me with a faster burning wood like maple or cherry to jump start the off gassing and get temps up fast. 100% oak loads can be finicky to start if the box isn't hot enough.

View attachment 322372
Perfect. Funny I do mix loads also cherry and maple. Agree won’t get way from you loaded like this.

I have a loose top down cold start now. I shut air in increments to control burn.

I find it interesting many of you seem to have higher stt than flue temps. I have never had that, but I do run the blower on high as soon as stt hits 300. Ideal cruising on a full load for me is 700-720 flue, 600-620 stt, air control at 1/4 open, damper about 75% closed.

No blower, I do keep a floor fan on low pointed at the stove, or oscillating depending on room temperature. Once things are heated up my STT is always hotter than my flue.
Abuber AT 200 about 24” high.
Stove is cast iron with the ceramic or fiber board baffle with a wool blanket on top of the baffle. Right at the lead edge of the baffle is hottest, and STT can be 100* cooler 8” farther back towards the flue.

I don’t need it often, but I’ve had good results with this since I upgraded from a full stop sold jar lid in the intake.
The jar lid was either on or off. The only time I actually used this so far I slowly shut it and watched the temp until it dropped one degree and I stopped moving it. Over the next couple couple minutes it dropped about 150 degrees and settled in around 450-500 for the rest of the burn. Once it started to drop again I opened the vent back up and haven’t touched it again.

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3079.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg