Over Fired Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
I've seen it mentioned here when people look for a used stove they like to see it unpainted so they can tell if it's been over fired.

What does an over fired stove look like?
What damage is done?
What would you look for that would prevent you from buying a stove?

The stove will have a tinge of white to it if overfired. Check for warped/cracked panels.

Reactions: Wisneaky
What would you look for that would prevent you from buying a stove?
The words All-Nighter, Frontier, Huntsman, Schrader or Timberline on them. ;lol

But seriously, some buyers require a Fisher to be a later UL listed model for legal use in their area. That prevents most from buying, or being in a state where only EPA certified stoves can be used.

This is hot, but no damage was done. Only paint discoloration in this case;

Hot Papa Spokane Wash. 3.jpg Hot Papa Spokane Wash..jpg

Side panels may warp. A straight edge on the side will show a bulge. Cracks will emanate from around vent outlet but can be stop drilled and welded easily.
Check the moving parts. Excessive wear in hinges can allow doors to sag and seal poorly, extremely loose draft cap threads can soon cost you an expensive draft cap. They are still very fixable.
I stay away from stoves missing doors or having cracked doors. Any Fisher that has been stove blacked is a lot of work and I'd pass unless exceptionally special. Coal Bears missing grates or inner liners may never be original again since those parts are next to impossible to find in good shape. Most anything else is fixable.

Status
Not open for further replies.