Over firing; A modern concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Avalon Olympic hits around 800 often enough when it spikes on a full load and secondaries going. I think the manual says nothing over 850. My Jotul 400 climbs in the 650-700 range for a bit without a worry. I am pretty sure that one can take 800 without blinking.

CleanBurnin said:
jdrab9er said:
The thermometers i've seen clearly show anything above 600 being too hot. And most of the PDF manuals for various stoves i've read online also warn against it.

I note that the thermo in the pick is labeled as a stove top thermo, but the temp ranges are the same as noted for single wall pipe temps. I wouldn't put any faith in the descriptions on them, nor in their accuarcy (covered lots in other threads)

As for Jotul C450 glowing temps, mine glows around 900*F. Seen it around the flue collar. Yours will glow around 900*F too. In fact steel glows around 900*F :)

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Temperature_when_metal_glows_red

And yes, the paint does go Poof around 1000F. This is my polished temp trend indicator post 1000*F :eek:hh:

index.php

My thermometer looks like that but I never had my insert glowing... In fact, I did not think I ever went over 800 or so... :gulp:

Yep the lawyers sewed things up nicely in my Regency I-2400 manual. Overfiring voids the warranty. No mention of any recommended temps anywhere that I've seen. If the body of the unit glows, you're overfiring (this is an insert remember). So basically you know how hot an overfire is by overfiring & voiding your warranty. Nice.
There's no good spot for a thermo either, but it seems easy to control & I think you'd have to make a mistake to overfire.

MH post! I knew something was missing from the Hearth Room lately!

I would consider trying it if my stove wasn't in the fireplace.

The more I know, the more I realize I should have been scared back when we had the Franklin style smoke dragon. I would always load it to the gills because it would burn so fast. There was no air control but the little baffles on the front doors. I saw it glowing more than once. N wonder the gate inside it is just about gone and all the panels are warped now. Not only did I routinely overfire it, but the previous owner of the house did what I now know was a very bad install. It was about 16" from the wall. The wall had some kind of hearthpad like fire resistant panel on it with no airspace behind it. I had a piece of teak furniture about 36" from it too. I guess I am pretty lucky that I didn't burn the house down. It sure did warm the place up though! For about 2 hours. It was a wood incinerator.

branchburner said:
MH post! I knew something was missing from the Hearth Room lately!

I would consider trying it if my stove wasn't in the fireplace.
blower on box cools fire too though i dont think as well,maybe

Anyone familiar with the overfire temp for an Englander 30nc? I think the manual also says do not let it glow.......

rofl Pook you are one strange character... I advise spelling the word "device" correctly on your blog, as "safety devise" makes no sense :)

spirilis said:
rofl Pook you are one strange character... I advise spelling the word "device" correctly on your blog, as "safety devise" makes no sense :)
i dont sell MH, its theoretical xcept for the sawdust burner

Status
Not open for further replies.