Over Night Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmsaler

Dec 12, 2010
Western PA
What is your definition of an overnight burn?

when you wake up:

room temperatures are what you expected...

Still hot coals in the box, rake them forward and throw a split in with an easy restart

Fan on firebox is still running

Still have large pieces burning in the firebox

I hear of 12-20 burn times...and I am trying to figure out what everbody means

Lots of past discussion on this topic. It all depends on what one defines as burn time. For many it just means adequate coals to get kindling going. For others, what they really mean is the period of meaningful heat, which varies with the stove and house. In some of the previous posts people have reported this to be when the stove reaches 200 or 300F. Your stove and criteria may vary.

pharmsaler said:

when you wake up:

Still hot coals in the box, rake them forward and throw a split in with an easy restartFan on firebox is still running

Having a medium size firebox the hot coals raked forward defines overnight burn 4me

BeGreen said:
Lots of past discussion on this topic. It all depends on what one defines as burn time. For many it just means adequate coals to get kindling going. For others, what they really mean is the period of meaningful heat, which varies with the stove and house. In some of the previous posts people have reported this to be when the stove reaches 200 or 300F. Your stove and criteria may vary.

x2

People are all over the place on this. For me it's pretty much how long I have meaningful heat. This will obviously change with outside temps.

If I was not looking for meaningful heat I would without a doubt have to be able to light up the next load without kindling to be considered "burn time".

Overnight is cake the important load for me is the 12-13 hour period when I'm at work.

Rdust

Hope all is well and how do you get such a long burn time in your stove? Do you load your stove and close damper all the way down?

Fredo

Fredo said:
Rdust

Hope all is well and how do you get such a long burn time in your stove? Do you load your stove and close damper all the way down?

Fredo

There is a Blaze King Performance thread going on, take a read it should answer some of your questions.

In short it's a cat stove that burns at a slow steady rate so it burns a long time. I was going 24 plus hours between loads in the fall time when temps were in the 40's. Don't get it wrong this isn't on a few sticks of firewood, this is a stove filled to the gills without much empty space left behind.

pharmsaler said:

when you wake up:

Still hot coals in the box, rake them forward and throw a split in with an easy restart

Two out of four ain't bad. I expect that the room temperature will be low enough that the gas furnace will kick in. Lots of hot coals to rake forward. Mostly, I don't run the fan overnight unless it's real cold but then the fan is not controlled by thermostat so it would stay running regardless. My stove air is thermostatically controlled so running the fan would waste wood cuz the air would open more with air blowing onto the bi-metal coil. Don't need it to be 75° when I'm sleeping.

Seemingly overnight burn is subjective to each wood burners lifestyle and set up. For me a typical overnight burn is about 7 hours from relight to relight (I don't sleep very long), enough coals for an easy restart, house temps are at 66 or above. If I let it get any colder than that and its in the 20s outside, then it takes a while to get the house temps back up.

My office was built in 2005 and is pretty air tight. For me, an overnight burn is a coal bed and a warm room when I come to work. If I put in some chunky, knotty, heavy pieces of wood before I leave, it is quite possible to have a very healthy coal bed 8 hours later. However, I would generally say that I am starting with minimal coals to relight. Stove stays very warm for 10 or more hours after the last load is put in.

firecracker_77,

I love your stove area. It is the BOMB!

Fredo

For me it would be enough coals to restart without a match. If I have coals the room will be reasonably warm. I have never had an overnight burn.

Any time there are enough coals to restart without kindling is good enough for me. In these mild temps I have been going 12 hours + like that keeping the house in the 70s. When it gets to the single digits in Jan I have to cheat and let the gas come on to hold a reasonable temp with the fire that low.

pharmsaler said:

when you wake up:

I started a thread about a couple of my longer burns this season. What kind of burn times are you getting out of your 1700? I've never had any issues getting an overnight burn out of mine.

Good topic! I too have wandered what folks are considering as a burn time. With my pee brain I just define it as how long will my stove hold enough coals to rake up and start with some small splits, without kindling or a super cedar. My house is small. If I've got enough coals to easily start I'll have house temps of at least 68 and usually over 70 if not real cold.

Over night burns are easy for me, making it sometimes 12 hours through a long day at work is the challenge. I normally can make it. Of course we've had a light winter here in East TN. That calls for stove gazing from my easy chair with the window up on the storm door most evenings. That way I can take the heat and still get a good coal bed up for the overnighter. :lol:

One thing I noticed with the King regarding coal beds is there isn't a massive coal bed after it consumes a full firebox,being that it burns the load so thouroughly. Usually the best I can get is when all coals are raked to the front is a pile about the width of the stove and 2 or 2.5 inches deep and 3 inches wide,more than enough to fire her back up if need be.I will sometimes spread the bed over the entire stove floor and reload on top open bypass and air to full even doing that she fires up reasonably quick.

If/when stoking up the stove for a cold night, I rake the coals forward so that the wood in the back is against the firebrick and ashes. The wood burns front-to-back and top-down so there will be coals. I can turn the air control all the way down but because it is thermostatically controlled, the rate of burn is affected by how cold the OAK air is and whether I run the blower.

It was getting cold last night so I tossed in an extra split before retiring but didn't run the blower. I slept in 2 extra hours this morning but there were still plenty of coals despite it being -15°C. I have yet to fill the stove to the secondaries this Winter.

My best overnight burn time so far is 8 hours with a couple of reasonable oak splits, I did need a few bits of kindling between the coals and the new splits to get it going, but I did save a match.......

Sadly, that did not qualify amongst some here, but I'm determined to do better with my best oak when we get some cold nights (forecast end Jan) which is when I'll try to perfect the long burn.

Burning birch or pallets here at present, best burn with them is 4 hours, no chance of an overnight burn...... ;-)

pharmsaler said:

when you wake up:

I went with Option B.

Ok, its my turn. This past Tuesday marks one month since I had my Osburn 2000 installed. I am learning how my stove works but I am wondering how I can get longer Overnight Burn Times.
Before I retire for the evening, I rake glowing embers to a nice bed and throw in either a couple of decent size splits of Ash or Oak. From there I wait until wood gets burning, shut down my damper between 70 and 80 percent than I retire.
I am a light sleeper and that comes in handy because after a few hours of sleep I check my stove and wood has burned down. I reload my stove again and jump back into bed and a few hours later I reload stove with a couple of splits of wood.
For me to get a longer burn time should I load a few more splits of wood? If I add more wood do I run the chance of my stove temps getting out of control as I sleep? Should there be a constant show of flames during an Overnight Burn?

I hope I am making sense so my brothers here on Hearth can give me some tips...

Thanks
Fredo

The Osburn 2000 has quite a decent size firebox, I'd be surprised if you cannot get an overnight burn without reloading.

If your oak is really dry, you may be able to close the damper lower than about 20% and still get it to burn quite well.

I shut mine down all the way, just allowing a small opening on the airwash, and easily get 6 - 7 hour burns with a firebox of just over a cubic foot.

Once my biggest splits of oak are seasoned in a year or two, I'll be looking at 8 hour burns as normal (I hope)....... ;-)

Fredo, I don't think a few splits is going to do it for you. You need to pack that monster with wood. I mean fill that firebox with wood, then once its good and going shut it down as much as possible. I usually pack it out like an hour or so before i go to bed so i can be sure i have it set for a good overnight burn. Here's what your stove should look like with a good NS load. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Thumba_2012-01-04_08-56-57.jpg
    Thumba_2012-01-04_08-56-57.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 510
Dafattkidd,

WOW, you really mean it when you say pack er up! I am going to load up my stove tonight and hopefully experience the longer burn times. I was only adding a couple larger splits and laying them East and West. I figured East and West would slow down burn rate because of how air comes into my stove from both the front and back of stove.

Even though Temps in Michigan are mild at 31 degrees as I write this response, I am going to load my stove up and see how it reacts. Part of me was cautious about loading up my stove and retiring to bed. It has been only a month since installing my stove and I still have a ways to go in learning its personality so to speak. I want to make sure that I do not over fire my stove with such a large load in it.
Thanks for all your help Dafattkidd. I really appreciate you and all my brothers here at Hearth.com

Fredo

Fredo said:
Dafattkidd,

WOW, you really mean it when you say pack er up! I am going to load up my stove tonight and hopefully experience the longer burn times.

I best you pop down tonight just to check how it's burning!

I'd actually be tempted to do the first long test burn like that when I was around, during the day, just to check everything out.

But I'm too chicken to load my box full like DeFatKidd anyway....... ;-)

woodchip said:
Fredo said:
Dafattkidd,

WOW, you really mean it when you say pack er up! I am going to load up my stove tonight and hopefully experience the longer burn times.

I best you pop down tonight just to check how it's burning!

I'd actually be tempted to do the first long test burn like that when I was around, during the day, just to check everything out.

But I'm too chicken to load my box full like DeFatKidd anyway....... ;-)

It is a good idea to try new burns with your stove while you're around to monitor the temps and see what its doing, but I definitely advise you to load those stoves up. My stove is a little over sized for my house so I don't usually have to pack it like that, but with the low temps and the blowing wind (I live three blocks from the beach so it can get pretty windy) I have been packing my stove to the gills before leaving for work lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.