Over ten hours on a half load of poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Nice attention getting title, but it's true. Now, I'm here to figure how I did it.

I've been burning that poplar slab wood I bought this summer. Last night was the first night I need to put full length pieces in it. Before, I was just burning the short chunks I cut off the pieces that were too long.

So, I load the stove up halfway. It's already warm but certainly not up to temperature. I char the wood over and gradually close the air control all the way. Ten hours later the fan is still running on the insert. I go into the living room and there are enough coals in the stove to just throw more wood in the stove and have it take off. I'm not lying. I was shocked.

Last year I could pack this stove full and ten hours later the fan would be cycling on and off and it would be almost out.

The only thing different from last year, is I closed the air control all the way. Last year I would leave it open an inch or so. Do you think by leaving it open a bit I defeated the EBT? This slab wood has only been stacked for about 5 months or so, but it's very dry. Also it wasn't very cold last night. It only got down to about 40, so maybe the draft wasn't as strong.

It's going to freeze tonight, so I'm going to do the same thing again tonight and see what happens.

Any ideas?

Used to do it all the time in the old airtight insert. That is why I chuckle when people bad mouth poplar. Yep, that EBT was made to take care of the light work. Why give the stove air when it can do it itself? Just make sure it is hot enough to kick in before damping down.

I am eagerly awaiting the BeGreen report on using EBT with a full load. Nobody else will tell me stuff like what temp it tries to maintain. Even got the "that is patented information" bullshit reply once.

Bart if its patented then go read the patent. I kinda doubt the patent will be that detailed but it's worth a shot. I don't have a thermometer or I would tell you.

Still too warm here to be burning steadily, but I am eager to see how she does. I have a stash of madrona so that I can compare a run of hardwood to a run of softwood. Regardless, I am impressed with the poplar burn.

BrotherBart said:
Used to do it all the time in the old airtight insert. That is why I chuckle when people bad mouth poplar. Yep, that EBT was made to take care of the light work. Why give the stove air when it can do it itself? Just make sure it is hot enough to kick in before damping down.

I am eagerly awaiting the BeGreen report on using EBT with a full load. Nobody else will tell me stuff like what temp it tries to maintain. Even got the "that is patented information" bullshit reply once.

Trying to figure out what EBT is bart. mind letting me in on it?

Ah never mind, extended burn technology, kinda like everburn,

We've been burning Poplar for a long time...the newer EPA stoves will extend the burn time and provide a good day time heat. The thing is in our experience you don't want to burn it over night cause it's easy to sleep through ...next thing you know there's no hot coals for a quick re-fire like you get with hardwood coals. All things considered we've found Poplar has a place in our wood burning routine. The trees are fast growing and easy takes to harvest too.

I let it go 11 hours last night. The fan was still on, but the stove was really cool. I'm guessing the fan would start cycling any time now. There were a few coals left in it, not enough to toss more wood on and let it go, but enough to toss some kindling on and blow on it a few times.

This poplar does seem to leave alot of ash behind. So far not bad for $220 dollars for 4 cords of the stuff.

Your poplar is likely very similar to our cottonwood. People have a lot of misconceptions about it just like they do about pine or even cedar. I have been very happy with my choice to give this "junk" wood a try. I will be getting into my last two cords of it (2 year old leftovers) in December this year. Getting and keeping this soft white wood dry is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.