Overall impressions of first season with an Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_dog

Dec 6, 2010
sw ohio
Hello to all. This is my first season with a pellet insert. Yes I have posted a few comments here in the past. However, the past month has really shed some light on my use of the insert. Hopefully this won't get too wordy. Initially a friend bought an Accentra near the end of last years season. After I had paid a big price for fuel oil heat last year, I was ready for another heat source, after hearing his experience with the Accentra I opted for one. The following is my experiences with the insert and pellets while heating my 1,700 sq ft L shape ranch.
conclusions---

Pellets- I have tried Somersets, Lignetics and American Wood Fibers. I find the American Wood Fibers the best overall as to price, heat and quality. Just bought a ton yesterday for $169 a ton from Tractor Supply using a price match from Meijers. Prior to that the price was $4.49 a bag from TS. Anyway, they seem to have less of a "clincker fang" than the Somersets. Always had a bigger "clinker fang" from Somersets. Lignetics had no "clinkers" but just didn't seem to heat like AWF and Somersets. Plus I paid $5.49 a bag on sale for them. I noticed the Lignetics bag said they were a blend of hardwood and conifers. The AWF and Somersets were hardwood. Now I am using a "mix/blend" of 66% AWF and 34% Lig's, for heat and less clinkers. I had considered using some Marth but they smelled liked them had kerosine in them.

Insert- Is located in the short leg of the L in my L style ranch, in a family room that is 16x20 with a 14' ceiling. I have my furnace set at 69 now. Originally at the start of this season it was set at 66. About 2 weekends ago it was around 0 degrees here in SW Ohio. It was just too cold in my 1955 built house, with the 66 furnace setting, 75 degree heat and 4 feed insert setting. Furnace kicked on SEVERAL times that weekend. This weekend it was -11 at one time. I did have the furnace at 69 and the insert at 85 with a feedrate of 6. The furnace didn't run much at all. I have found out that when the temp is above 30, the minimum I have to set the insert on is 75 degrees and the feed rate of 4, for the furnace NOT to kick on. After this past month I feel I have learned how to run my insert and furnace to heat my house. No regrets at all about the purchase of the insert.

Just had to share my experience so far, in regards to my first partial year with an insert and pellets.

Sounds like your enjoying it and are getting the hang of things. Just remember to keep it clean and it will keep you warm.

Enjoy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.