Overcapacity vs Effectiveness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_X

Nov 16, 2009
Seattle
Hi everyone!

What if required power of stove is 20kW, but I will install 40kW stove instead? How overcapacity affects effectiveness?

I was not able to find any information about this issue.

Alex_X said:
Hi everyone!

What if required power of stove is 20kW, but I will install 40kW stove instead? How overcapacity affects effectiveness?

I was not able to find any information about this issue.

Alex, welcome to the forum. I may be wrong, but are you sure you mean 20Kw, and not 20W?

And also, not sure what your question is....confusing.

macman said:
Alex, welcome to the forum. I may be wrong, but are you sure you mean 20Kw, and not 20W?

Thank you!

20kW= 20 000 Watt . It's a power of stove, that I'm going to use. But question is not about particular power. It's about how overcapacity of stove power will affect coefficient of efficiency.
I've been looking for this information in different places, but didn't find anything useful.

I think it's important!

Alex_X said:
macman said:

Thank you!

20kW= 20 000 Watt . It's a power of stove, that I'm going to use. But question is not about power at all. It's about how overcapacity of stove power will affect coefficient of efficiency.
I've been looking for this information in different places, but didn't find anything useful.

I think it's important!

Sorry, but it must be me...I have NO idea what your asking. I have no idea what a 20,000 watt pellet stove is..... :gulp:

I suspect that Alex is asking (pardon me if I am interpreting your question incorrectly) if he only needs a 20K BTU input for his needs, but installs a 40K BTU input unit would that cause any problems.
Good question Alex I hope somebody might comment.

My best "guess" is that pellet stoves don't have the creasote issues that a wood stove has nor like an oil fired boiler that should be sized to run most of the time at approx 20 below zero.
I imagine if you need to run on low all the time there would be issues with the glass sooting up all the time, and it would be cycling on and off quite a bit if it's thermostaticaly controlled.

We use Btu's for sizing in the US. You should get used to using that as many stove dealers won't understand what you are saying. As far as size, if you are in the Puget Sound area, you don't need to oversize. It's relatively mild climate with few extremes. A mid size stove in the 30,000 Btu range should work fine, but many are based on average use per square feet. Sit down with a few dealers and get a feel for sizing. You are close to two major manufacturers in the heart of pellet country, so you should find lots of local information.

I oversize my stove and run it on medium, runs great, and is very efficient.

I agree with slls. I think its better to run a stove on medium than straight out all the time. Then on those especially cold nights you have some room to play. I think it even uses less pellets.

pellet0708 said:
I agree with slls. I think its better to run a stove on medium than straight out all the time. Then on those especially cold nights you have some room to play. I think it even uses less pellets.

Me too, I agree! My stove runs fine on low and has only been higher than medium once, For only a short time.

Might be best to check the stoves operation on low. Some stoves are tricky with the low fires. Tend to run on the rich side. Other than that, You will always have some room to go up. Really sucks when the stoves on high and the house is still cold!

smalltown said:
I suspect that Alex is asking (pardon me if I am interpreting your question incorrectly) if he only needs a 20K BTU input for his needs, but installs a 40K BTU input unit would that cause any problems.
Yeah you're right!

pellet0708 said:
I don't think that it uses less pellets. I know that oversized stove on natural gas uses more. But I don't know about pellets.

Alex:

Larger than necessary is OK, but twice is not necessary. There are lots of stoves in the 28,000-32,000 Btu range. I agree that running the stove at less than highest settings is preferred, but too big a stove running always at low settings may be even less efficient. You will likely get similar preformance out of the stove if run most of the time in the middle and only infrequently on low and high settings.

This is a terrible respone, if you want me to clarify, let me know by PM, I seem to be having a Senior day.

littlesmokey said:
We use Btu's for sizing in the US. You should get used to using that as many stove dealers won't understand what you are saying. As far as size, if you are in the Puget Sound area, you don't need to oversize. It's relatively mild climate with few extremes. A mid size stove in the 30,000 Btu range should work fine, but many are based on average use per square feet. Sit down with a few dealers and get a feel for sizing. You are close to two major manufacturers in the heart of pellet country, so you should find lots of local information.

Yeah, talk American.

Of course, the day I get my stove working (had to complete the permit/inspection) it hasn't gotten below 43 degrees out yet. Roasting me out of the house. It's rated up to 2000 sq ft. and my house is only 1100, so I'm real toasty at level 2 setting on both blower and heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.