Q&A Overdraft in Regency Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I own a new Regency I2000M Insert. It is vented into a 6 in. oval stainless steel liner. Chimney is approx. 25 ft. Liner is wrapped in a thermal blanket. When air inlet is fully closed (which is actually still 1 in. open- according to customer support) and a full load of wood I can't achieve the nice slow burn with the blue- violet flames. I spoke with Regency and they feel there is excessive draft. This problem occurs even if it is not windy. Since secondary air is not controllable and primay air can only be shut down so much I must cut down draft to get a more efficient and long lasting burn. Is there a way my chimney man can cut down on draft by using a special chimney cap or something similar?Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Answer:

If you could install a barometic draft regulator on the piping of the unit which exists behind the fireplace...this would do the job...It will be a custom job - though- as I'm sure there is not much room back there to work...can probably be done- though.1 inch open sounds like a lot.... most stoves close more than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.