Overfire get it under control.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G6 at Snook said:
How do you get an overfire under control on an Jotul F400?

All open with door open or all shut?
Open everything up and watch it drop.

Opened the front door and draft control and it dropped. I was up around 680-700. Shut again and with minimal draft and it is riding at 500. Too much wood when I restocked after a burn cycle. Three sticks verses five next time. Still learning.

G6 at Snook said:
Opened the front door and draft control and it dropped. I was up around 680-700. Shut again and with minimal draft and it is riding at 500. Too much wood when I restocked after a burn cycle. Three sticks verses five next time. Still learning.
Maybe check out the thread I have going where BrotherBart gave me some pointers on loading. I think I'm getting that it's not necessarily how many splits you have in there, it's how many you have burning at once, and maybe there is a way to get 5 in there without them all being fully engulfed. I'm learning my new stove too, so I feel your pain, bro!

G6 at Snook said:

You were okay. I wouldn't consider that an overfire.

The Jotul manual recommended 400-600 for this stove, that is why I say overfire, but I may be wrong and I would like to avoid going that high again. Also, found the sweet spot for air wash and that is around 550 or a tad higher.

I accidentally said 500 so that is why I edited.

G6 at Snook said:
The Jotul manual recommended 400-600 for this stove, that is why I say overfire, but I may be wrong and I would like to avoid going that high again. Also, found the sweet spot for air wash and that is around 550 or a tad higher.

I accidentally said 500 so that is why I edited.

You'll hit it again, intentionally and unintentionally. Understanding how you got there is key for both.

Drag'em to the front. Burn the load from front to back.

Getting high . . . but not dangerously high . . .

Options: Open the door and it converts your secondary burner into a free burning fireplace or if you know where your secondary air is coming in you can take some aluminum foil and fully or partially block it to slow down things . . . just be sure to know where the inlet is before you need to know . . . and wear gloves.

Ways to prevent this from happening . . . don't load as much (especially smaller wood) and/or wait a little longer in the coaling stage before adding wood. Almost every time I have got in trouble is when I have opted to add a full load of wood too early in the coaling stage instead of waiting.

G6 at Snook said:
Wait until the stove burns down to about 250-300 before adding a few sticks?

To be honest I don't pay much attention to the stove temp . . . I tend to pay more attention to the coals . . . I tend to wait until the coals are the size of baseballs or so and then add the wood . . . I would guess the stove top temp might be around the temps you mentioned . . . but honestly I really don't look at the stove top temps as much as I did in the first year or so of burning while I was getting to know my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.