overfire or chimney fire? eek

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSDave

Dec 29, 2011
Halifax NS Canada
So I was burning the stove down to get my bed of coals going from a cold start; I'm still learning this stove and wood burning, so I figured I'd try for a longer burn; I added an extra split; shut the bypass damper and left the air open to let the wood char; walked upstairs for 10 minuets or so, and came back to a roaring fire and stove tops 800+(ir gun ; i can't remember the extact temp ) and my magnetic pipe thermo well into the danger zone.

There was a roaring noise, but this stove seems to do that when it draws anyway, no sparks or soot outside no flames shooting out the chimney; I opened the damper and the door to get some heat out then shutdown the air,( I need a new door gasket ) and things slowly quieted down. Overall the whole thing probably took 15-20 minutes from panic to cooling off. I can live with the overfire, a chimney fire is a whole other matter.

After reading up on this site; I think I reloaded too soon in the cycle, I should have let things cool down for another half hour or so. So I've learned something..

Chimney is being swept next week..
Any thoughts.

Thanks
Wearing my spare pants now!

Any flames coming out the chimney? I was just thinking it has been a while that since somebody wrote in with soiled undergarments.

Dave, the biggest thing you did wrong was to leave that stove! You left the air full open and went away for 10 minutes and that is something that really should not be done. The fires can get going very fast sometimes. We can not tell if you had a chimney fire or just that the fire in the stove went wild. However, we can recommend that you check and double check the stove for any damage. The same should be done with the chimney. If you need to, have a sweep come in to check the chimney. Better safe than sorry.

Also, do not wait until next week to sweep the chimney! That needs checking now. After that is done, go buy a new pair of pants.

No flames; no bad smells; from the chimney.

Yes, I shouldn't have walked away for sure.

I am letting the stove cool off; its below 200 c now. and Will check things out tomorrow; I'll have to get up on the roof and take a look

Sounds good Dave. Good luck.

Looks like all is ok,; sort of. Its -11c here today and it snowed last night; so no rooftop today. I did check out the stove; pulled the pipe and snapped a couple blind pics up the chimney;

The bad news is I found a hole in the top of the combustion package; no wonder it seems to draft more than I thought it should. I knew this needed to be replaced though; I'm trying to wait for a month or so to see if the stove cooperates coming apart and I'll decide on the fix or replace options then. If anything I'll just use it for small fires to warm the room for the time being.

Attachments

• chim2.jpg
    chim2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 369
Not good news at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.