Overfire or Standard Operating Temps???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
Second year burning, after a trying year with truly seasoned wood. Man it get's cranking fast compared to last year! What a difference seasoned makes. My question is about stove temps.

QF 4100I. Rutland Thermometer at 600 degrees, just in the upper portion of the burn zone, mounted at the left side of the stove door. This is usually where the stove stays for where the thermometer is mounted, the 500-600 range, with the air one-two notches from being all the way closed to closed. Thing is, I've noticed lately that when it gets to the 600 degree range, the top of the stove, right in front of the exhaust port, is red. Not a Rudolph red but red enough for me to have noticed. Its not the entire area of the stove but seemingly right where the flames take the angle up into the liner. Even when the air's all the way out and the blower's on it still cruises on in this range and this happens. Is this normal for stoves or is this overfire?

Thanks for all the help over the months!!

Ian

if its glowing i dont think that can be good.

I would think that no part of your stove should consistently glow dull red - the metal must be getting too hot at that spot. Any chance there could be an air leak at that point, causing higher temps there than around the remainder of the box? Others with more knowledge will chime in - good luck figuring this out. Cheers!

Red means caution or something worse. If you get any sort of a glowing red on the stove it means that it is too hot. Just dial it down a ways.

You surely are correct about the good dry wood. It makes wood burning so much easier and enjoyable.

Did a search and found someone who described this perfectly. Checked my gaskets, etc. However, do you think any of the weld points are compromised from the dull red glow atop the stove at the exhaust? It was a slow, slow cool from the face temps of 600. If they are what would be the next step?

Let the stove go out and give it a very good general inspection, focusing on the baffle area. Make sure that extra air is not leaking in from the top of the glass. Inspect the insulation blanket and top flue collar area to be sure there is not an ash or debris dam around the flue collar that would be concentrating the flame in front of it. Look for bad welds or cracks that could be feeding air at this location. Make sure the insulation board is in good shape and that it is placed correctly, all the way to the back of the stove.

Also, read this thread for lessons learned in case any apply here.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60673/P22/#692639

Status
Not open for further replies.