Overfire Temp???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

recppd

Aug 30, 2006
North Shore, MA
I know of the possibility of an overfire, but what temp range does that consist of??? I just bought a Raytek MT6 infrared temperature tool (very cool!!!!) and have gotten temps as high as 605 degrees on the top of the stove. No glow, etc,. but don't have any idea what an "overfire" temp should be! Please inform...

Thanks.

I target the 450 to 650 range 700 should not ruin your stove over that better start shutting it down

Hot flame did the math last year for us using 450 base line at 600 you are producing 100% more heat than 450 When it cold I look for 550 to 650

I wonder how much the # change per stove . The reason i ask is because Pacific Energy gives NO stack temps nor do they give any stove top temps to go by. No temp guide lines listed. Cast , steel pate , soapstone ..........All have different designs and thicknesses. How to judge with no guide lines ?

Most stove manuals state an overfire temp. Mine is over 700 degrees. My last stove was a Hearthstone Homestead and it had a 600 deg overfire temp. Steel and cast iron may have even higher overfire temps.

The manual of my stove indicates I have to get a temp of 600 to fire off the cats. The aftermarket cats I have in there now are supposed to fire off at under 400 degrees. right now the temp on the stove is about 550. I am going to have to watch this thing to make sure I don't overfire this winter.

David

Todd said:
Most stove manuals state an overfire temp. Mine is over 700 degrees. My last stove was a Hearthstone Homestead and it had a 600 deg overfire temp. Steel and cast iron may have even higher overfire temps.

Well, that's interesting... I was wondering about how well the Hearthstones would take high temps. I'm sort of surprised actually. Interior temps of a masonry heater are usually a lot higher...like 1100-1800 degrees, including Tulikivi's and their soapstone with some metal parts (the door).

DavidV said:
The manual of my stove indicates I have to get a temp of 600 to fire off the cats. The aftermarket cats I have in there now are supposed to fire off at under 400 degrees. right now the temp on the stove is about 550. I am going to have to watch this thing to make sure I don't overfire this winter.

David

How is the cat liking the liner?

I spoke with Jotul on this last year. Run the stove at 600-650, and don't go over 700 or so. They did say not to worry about it too much though, because it can run at 900 for periods without causing any damage at all (30 minutes).
FYI, mine settles in at 650, and basically stays there for a few hours, then hovers at 550 for a while.

-- Mike

Hi Mike Wilson:

How did you talk to Jotul? I cannot find any contact info for them. I think they want all support through dealers? I need a manual for a model series 8 AP...

thanks!

In the event someone is approaching the over firing how does one stop it from rising any further? As an example last week I was approaching the 450 mark and decided to shut the air flow down, after doing so the stove temperature started to rise quickly within what seemed minutes the stove temp was approaching the 600-650 degree mark it eventually went back down but had me thinking of why it rose so quickly with the air flow shut down, compared to when the air flow was open.

Is what I experience because with the air flow turned down there is less air moving up the chimney, what causes more heat to be trapped in the stove rising the stove temperatures?. If this is the case does chimney temperatures drop due to less air movement up the chimney?.

Warren said:
Todd said:

Well, that's interesting... I was wondering about how well the Hearthstones would take high temps. I'm sort of surprised actually. Interior temps of a masonry heater are usually a lot higher...like 1100-1800 degrees, including Tulikivi's and their soapstone with some metal parts (the door).

I'm sure the interior temps were over 1000 deg. They have to be to have secondary combustion and clean burning. The soapstone is 1 1/4 inch thick, so it was hard to get the stove top temp up over that 600 degree mark. Had to run the stove wide open for quite some time to get her that high.

On the other hand, my fireview can easily reach a 600 stove top temp on a low burn, and to cool it off I have to add air so there is less smoke for the cat to feed on. The highest internal cat temp I have seen so far is 1400. What a great stove design, max heat at lowest burn setting.

MikeS said:
Hi Mike Wilson:

How did you talk to Jotul? I cannot find any contact info for them. I think they want all support through dealers? I need a manual for a model series 8 AP...

thanks!

I looked up their corporate switch number and called it, then asked for tech support. But, if you need something simple, like a manual, I'd just call my local dealer and have him order it. We don't want to bother the corporate folks with things like that.

-- Mike

Greg123 said:
In the event someone is approaching the over firing how does one stop it from rising any further? As an example last week I was approaching the 450 mark and decided to shut the air flow down, after doing so the stove temperature started to rise quickly within what seemed minutes the stove temp was approaching the 600-650 degree mark it eventually went back down but had me thinking of why it rose so quickly with the air flow shut down, compared to when the air flow was open.

Is what I experience because with the air flow turned down there is less air moving up the chimney, what causes more heat to be trapped in the stove rising the stove temperatures?. If this is the case does chimney temperatures drop due to less air movement up the chimney?.

Exactly. Try to anticipate the moves upward and cut back the airflow slowly to even it out.

Mike Wilson said:
MikeS said:
Hi Mike Wilson:

thanks!

I looked up their corporate switch number and called it, then asked for tech support. But, if you need something simple, like a manual, I'd just call my local dealer and have him order it. We don't want to bother the corporate folks with things like that.

-- Mike

I know this is going to sound stupid, but did you do an online search for the manual? I've noticed that certain stoves over a certain age just don't have manuals available for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.