Overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for me i get nervous right where the chimney pipe goes thru the ceiling. Yeah its proper pipe and clearances are met but its still only a few inches away from that pipe to the wood. High temps are going to push the weakest link in your system to break and i get very nervous testing my chimney link.
That is why chimney pipe is used there and it penetrates into the room below the ceiling. Class A chimney pipe is insulated. This insulation together with the enforced 2" air space is good protection. Note that at times, particularly on startup, flue temps can far exceed stove top temps. This year I saw 1200F (probe temp) flue temp with just a 250ºF stovetop. This was my error. I got distracted and let the stove burn wide open on start up for about 5 minutes longer than it should have. It's times like that when you really appreciate having a safe installation.

Last edited:
This year I saw 1200F (probe temp) flue temp with just a 250ºF stovetop. This was my error. I got distracted and let the stove burn wide open on start up for about 5 minutes longer than it should have. It's times like that when you really appreciate having a safe installation.

how was your stove top only 250? My stove top temps directly corellate to my flue temps....the hotter my fire burns, the hotter my flue temps and stove top are.

I always ask people how hot the insulated pipe should be going through walls,nobody has an answer. i've seen 200 degrees on the outside of my insulated through wall class A pipe. To the touch this is hot, and it's only a couple inches from wood, through through a thimble.

This was on a cold startup. It takes a while to warm up the mass of the stove. With the air wide open a lot of heat goes up the flue. Once the stove body is fully warmed up the flue temps track at about 100F below the stove top temp.

Like I had mentioned, 800::F + is an overfire in those inserts, if people know that bingo is 840 they will take it as close as possible to that point which by then you are already running too hot.
When you are right, you are right! I agree, that is indeed hu(man) nature to try to run it up to the highest point, and it's like driving a boat, can't turn it on a dime. I'd prefer that the manual be explicit (like you were, Mellow). But, I'm not the manufacturer (or their lawyers), I'm just a customer!

Status
Not open for further replies.