Overfired Regency 2x in past month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LISound

Mar 20, 2008
Southern CT
Both times were due to forgetfulness and I guess dry wood.
The first time I loaded the stove with all oak...well that was a hot fire!
I had choked the air all the way down and was getting a really good secondary when through the heater vent, I noticed the pipe glowing red. I turned the blower on high and opened a window. The room was already upwards of 80 and it was 10 outside.
It finally stopped glowing about an hour and half later. Of course when I closed the air down, the fire continued to burn hotter. And I'd have to say that was the hottest I've seen it. Freaked me out.
The second was last night. The reason for this post is that it wasn't really hot by over firing standards. I did close the air down a bit late while being distracted so maybe the flame was jumping into the flu collar.
Should I be a bit worried since over firing it the first time with oak. The stove is 15 years old. Does Stainless warp more or weaken than cast iron?

it's controllable. I was just peaking around it again. Fired up very quickly and temps on the stove top are reading just above 300. For my stove, that's a hot one.
Funny thing is, the box isn't raging. could it be that my wood is that good. I'm getting down to some of the real hard stuff. Locust, birch, oak. Should I change my bricks? They're as old as the stove. We just had a liner installed this season too, since it didn't have one before. The installer said the bricks look ok. But they are 15 years old, maybe I need a bit more protection?

I've done the same on my insert and watched the top of the stove glow - God knows how hot the liner was! I took a tip from BeGreen, and now I use a timer whenever I reload. If I use the timer, no overfire.

Your temps seem cold, but your description of the pipe seems like an overfire for sure. My stove top won't glow even at 800*F on the thermometer - that said, who knows how accurate my 'meter is.

Status
Not open for further replies.