Overfireing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
We have been running our stove now for a bit and my wife and I really like it. Just last week we had the stove top temp on the burn indicator go to the limit which is over 850 deg. F before we caught it. According to the burn indicator anything over 550 deg F. is considered overfiring. The stove and pipe never got red and nothing seemed harmed by it. I was worried that it may have voided the warrenty if it truly was overfired. What is truly considered overfireing? Just last night the stove temp went up to 850 and it appeared for no reason. I had all 3 vents shut rite down but could not seem to bring the temp down. There was no wind, the stove has an outside air source. I took off the side panel tonight after it cooled to reveal the 3 drafts vents. The burn rate air controll and the start up air control seemed fine but the rear air channel vent pad had some glazed creosote on the inside screw head and the was a small chunk of creosote inside the channel itself and the pad was indented some with the shape of the vent hole. There was what appeared to be a slight, very slight separation between the pad and the stove, but the vent was working properly. I've also been smelling some smoke at night rite over the stove. The piping is installed properly and has been sealed also. I tightened up the door latch just a bit in case there was a leak at the door gasket. Any ideas? It is a good stove and we love the glass door. My dad and I cut some wood with his little saw mill on Sat. I'll send some pictures as soon as I reduce the size.

I saw someone else say their ACC was sticking sometimes as well. I don't know how creosote would get down there though? Sound like your stove might be exhausting through the air intake sometimes, which is pretty hard to do. Do you get smoke back in the house when you open the doors? Clean out the air flaps as best you can and maybe leave that panel off and watch them. It sounds like the stove was heading to an over-fire state but you probably did not do any damage. If it was continuously run like that on purpose you would damage it over time.

Check door gasket, & ash pan gasket if it has one. Sounds like you have air leak letting air in even when closed down.

Oops missed the other part.
Have you cleaned the chimney and let the creosote fall down into the stove?

well its been about 9 days since this was posted. The stove is running better now and I have also ordered new vent pads for the ACC and the rear draft. I really like this stove. This is the only new stove I've ever had and also the only one with secondary burn capability, luv it. The chimney was clean when we started with this stove and we havent been burning that long but I should check it out.
Thanks,
Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.