Overfiring - What are the risks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Hi all,

I am a proud owner owner of an Isle Royale stove, which came with the house I currently rent (second year here). When I first started burning last winter, I hadn't done much research as far as stoves, and overfired it a few different times. I've had the entire top of the stove red, without so much as a worry. I've also seen some red spots on the sides. I've since done some research and am very careful to prevent overfiring. Some of the brick on the inside is cracked, which I know is replaceable. I'm wondering two things. The first is, aside from the obvious fire risk due to surrounding objects, what damage could I have caused (but didn't) with this sacrilege, and second, what less noticeable damage am I likely to have caused? I've used the stove a couple times this year, but I will be doing daily burns once the weather starts to turn a bit colder. There are no cracks in the flue or the metal of the stove, and it still fires quite well, but I would like to be certain and replace(if necessary) anything that might have been damaged or compromised. Thank you.

With overfiring, you can warp (steel) or crack (cast iron) your stove, and if your chimney has creosote build-up, you risk a chimney fire. Also, you're wasting heat.

Overfiring stresses the stove. Depending on the construction, and where the heat is concentrated, minor flaws can become worse after overheating. Continued overfiring will often greatly accelerate part failures. In soapstone stoves, this can be sudden cracking of a stone. In steel stoves it might be popping a weld or warping. In castiron stoves it can cause cracks and warping. It can also ruin an enameled finish.

As for the used Isle Royale, the cracked bricks should be replaced. They might have cracked due to rough feeding of wood. The stove should also be closely checked for air leaks at all the doors and top griddle.

I'm in the process of checking for air leaks, and more than likely replacing some gaskets. I can fill the entire box with wood, close all the vents, go to bed at 12 AM, get up at 7, and have nothing but ash. I'm fairly certain the culprit is the ash pan door, as that feels quite loose when I push/pull it.

Thank you for the quick and accurate replies.

some times you really have to push the ash pan hard to make sure it seats. Another option " if you don't use your ash pan..as I don't, I just use a shovel" fill the ash pan and reinstall it "leaving it full" this will keep it from drafting through the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.