overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
alot of things i read say overfiring is 490 degrees and higher? i have an Isle Royale and i have read some guys say 500 650 degrees even a little higher is ok ?????? whats the scoop on temperatures i usually keep mine at 400 to 500 sometimes 550. Im a little nervous to bring it up that high (600 to 700).

Are you asking about stove top temps? If so, that stove will easily run at 650-700F without a whimper.

my Rutland sits right ontop of the cook top of the Isle Royale i usually keep that at 400 to 550 . so if the stove top is 650 700 wouldnt the firebox be alot hotter? wouldnt that be overfiring ??

Even at 450F the firebox temps could over 1000F. Stove top temp is what you want to watch.

For single wall chimney pipe, about a foot or so up the pipe I'd agree with that number as being about as high a you want to see.

When talking stove tops, 500 is just getting started for a steel or cast stove.

If you are using a rutland thermometer, their scale reads low because it's an "average" based upon what the average stove pipe and stove top temps should be at. Because of this gross and ridiculous approximation I do not care for these thermometers as I think they can lead folks to burn at unsafe levels (too high on the stove pipe or too cool on the stove top) if they do not know better.

Here is the rutland scale:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Rutland-701-rw-170163-246603.jpg

This is a more trusted scale and devised for specific purposes as either being on the stove top or on the stove pipe.

For chimney 1 foot up

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/319wsDq5vIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For hottest spot on your stove top

http://www.condar.com/products/INFERNO_big.jpg

Even then, this is a bit conservative. For most steel / cast stove 700 is a good red line unless the manufacturer recommends something lower. Generally, soapstone stove recommend a bit lower temps.

I run my stove a bit hotter than 700 at times, but for the money I have invested and knowing that my chimney temps are still safe and that I have a safe install w/ no concerns about clearances, I don't worry much until I get over 800.

pen

Good stuff, Pen. But now you've got me wondering about my own thermometer placement. I moved my Rutland thermometer off the top of my Jotul for aesthetic reasons and onto the pipe in the back. Is that OK, or do I need to adjust for it not sitting directly on the firebox?

Attachments

• StoveTop.jpg
    StoveTop.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 408
Jotul shows placement in the manual on the cooktop. Maybe get a better looking thermometer?

Attachments

• jotul them.jpg
    jotul them.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 396
BeGreen said:
Jotul shows placement in the manual on the cooktop. Maybe get a better looking thermometer?

LOL. It's not so much the thermometer itself as it is just having something on the top there.

My Jotul Rangeley manual states that optimal stove top operating temperatures are between 400° and 700°. I'm sure it can handle a little bit more; possibly up to 750°-800°

Chrism said:
my Rutland sits right ontop of the cook top of the Isle Royale i usually keep that at 400 to 550 . so if the stove top is 650 700 wouldnt the firebox be alot hotter? wouldnt that be overfiring ??

Holy cows, man. Let that thing breath. Your smothering it. ;-)

If you like the stove at 400-550, you ought to see what that thing can do at 650-700 (or 750 if your stomach can handle it). Its a whole 'nuther beast.

Now - that being said, I hope you have been maintaining a nice clean stack before you go cranking this thing up. At the low temps you are running I would hate to see some accumulation light up when you finally let that stove off of its leash.

Where's the best placment on my isle royale? Anyone know ??

Chrism said:
Where's the best placment on my isle royale? Anyone know ??

I place it on the top left of the griddle plate.

I routinely run my Englander 13 at 600-650*. Almost every burn when I'm getting things really heated up for shut down, it hits over 700. My IR therm maxes out at 716* at center of stovetop near the collar its always maxed out. I've haven't hit 700 near the sides or seams though. So far so good. As far as I know, Englander doesn't post "ideal" burn temps or max levels in the manual.

Hey jags what's the stove top temp you run yours at ? Also what size gasket do you have under your cooktop? It say 1/4 inch but I saw a little smoke coming out the top which I'm sure doesn't add to a longer burn time .

Chrism said:
Hey jags what's the stove top temp you run yours at ? Also what size gasket do you have under your cooktop? It say 1/4 inch but I saw a little smoke coming out the top which I'm sure doesn't add to a longer burn time .

Depending on heat needs, I will run a steady 650 if I need to. Not uncommon for a 750 peak on startup, but I start slamming things down when I see the needle start moving like the tach of an Indy car.

As far as gasket? Dunno, the manual is online and should tell you. I don't use the top load, so my gasket is probably in the same shape as when the stove shipped. And NO - smoke should not come out of the top. Check to see where the lid contacts the gasket, you should be able to see if there is any questionable contact area.

I don't use the stove top either just saw a little smok come out on start up so when she gets goin you know she's pullin in air where she spit out the smoke. It probably is a garbage gasket!!

Good morning!
My stove top temp is 600 now and normally will drop to 275 before I should add some more fuel. Now and then(easier than writing occasionally) temps can be 700+

Just a few things: I let the fire burn out overnight, in house temp about 60 deg.sort and clean out the ashes, I enjoy assembling the morning wood and prefer the top down fire start, I have a lot of wood in the shed, pleased with the wood consumption rate, as a novice getting more relaxed about the burn, not so concerned about the secondary burn. Enjoy the sounds of the wood stove as it burns, those small clicking sounds

Being retired I have the time for the stove

Happy wood stove fun

Ubookz this site is for talking about wood stoves not the love of Morning Wood lmao just kiddin!!!

Chrism said:
I don't use the stove top either just saw a little smok come out on start up so when she gets goin you know she's pullin in air where she spit out the smoke. It probably is a garbage gasket!!

I would investigate. It shouldn't do that at all.

Stegman said:
Good stuff, Pen. But now you've got me wondering about my own thermometer placement. I moved my Rutland thermometer off the top of my Jotul for aesthetic reasons and onto the pipe in the back. Is that OK, or do I need to adjust for it not sitting directly on the firebox?

Did an experiment this morning. I moved the thermometer to where the Jotul manual says to put it - on top of the actual firebox to one side. Started a fire and got it going up to just under 550 and let it cruise there for awhile. I then moved it back to where I had been keeping it - on the top rear near the vent pipe thingy. I waited 30 minutes and checked it, and there was no difference. So I think I'm going to keep it there. It might be slightly cooler there, but I think the difference is probably negligible.

I used to think my stove was cooking at 900 or more till i got an infrared thermometer gun.

It showed me that above 600 or more the old condar I had was off . When it said 900 my stove was only at 750.

Status
Not open for further replies.