Overheat Loop Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
I still am not clear how to have my plumber set up the overheat loop. I want to use the zone in my livingroom ( cathedral ceiling area) which has 30 ft of high output baseboard. I want to use this zone when the electricity is on to provide heat and then use it as the overheat loop when the electricity goes off. Is it possible to design the system to do this? The Tarm is in the basement and the zone is higher ... hence gravity fed? I have searched the site and read a ton... the only thing I came across was a diagram from Benjamin boiler? Please help. I have read about the aotomag and understand how it is closed when the electricity is on and then opens when the electricity is off. However.. how can I design the loop to use both concepts? Ie when electricity is working and when it is not. Can anyone please either tell me.. or send a diagram so I can show my plumber? Is the Benjamin boiler the concept I want? Will it work with hooking up my Tarm?

I am not a plumber, but I think you could do what you want...(if you are using zone vales in your system) - plumb a straight run of pipe into a tee, on the left branch put your regular, normal zone valve, on the right branch put the automag valve, on the output side of both valves pipe back into a single line and then into your baseboard.

Can't see why it wouldn't work but hopefully the pros could chime in.

If you are using zone pumps instead of zone valves you'd need another strategy, but I'd be willing to be you can get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.