Q&A overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi Craig: I'm interested in buying a woodstove for the second floor of my house- which is the main living area. The area to be heated is about 650 square feet. I really like the Lopi Answer- but it's rated at 750-1300 sf. I also like the Avalon 790- which also is around 600-1200sf. The only smaller one I've seen is the Leprechaun- and I don't like the looks of it.
1) Will I be constantly fighting overheating with the Lopi or Avalon- or is the heat controllable? No- they are good size for your areas
2)If I do need to go to a smaller stove- can you recommend a quality one that has a large flame viewing area?
3)Is there any inexpensive way to direct the heat downstairs in order to heat the first floor too- (other than just leaving the door open)?
4)Do you have any thoughts about the quality of the Lopi vs. the Avalon?

Answer:

1. No they are a good size for your areas
2. I prefer the Avalon 700 myself.
3. It's difficult - if not impossible to "heat downward"
4. Same company..I prefer the Avalon ...myself, but that is probably since I have more experience with them.

(Note: Stove model names have changed since this question was asked!)

Status
Not open for further replies.