Overnight burning in a small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I sold my smaller stove, thought it was going to be a lawn ornament. But the guy I sold it to has been burning wood for 30 years. They basically only heat with wood. My stove was about 1.2 cubic ft. box. He said it would be perfect for overnight burns and not overheat the house. I said how you gonna get good overnight burns with that small box. He said I get a nice fire going and then I load it with green wood. First thing that came to my mind was do you check your chimney and if so how does it look inside. He said he cleans it twice a year and it's usually not bad. He's been doing this since day one and only had one chimney fire, that was very small, with no damage. I kind of shook my head and said OOh. He certainly isn't going to listen to me, but I don't recommend this practice. But maybe next time he will not be so lucky. One other thing that was interesting he was on the voluntary fire department for 25 years. Would of though he saw enough stove fires, but maybe that thing only happens to other people.

The problem with that is half the heat is lost drying the green wood, I guess if you like sleeping in the cold. Some times old timers do some strange stuff.

I can pretty much get a decent overnight burn out of my small dutchwest catalytic stove. I laod it full around 11:00 and convert it over, in the AM I have some coals left and throw in some kindling, open the air and away we go.

hookspacken said:
I can pretty much get a decent overnight burn out of my small dutchwest catalytic stove. I laod it full around 11:00 and convert it over, in the AM I have some coals left and throw in some kindling, open the air and away we go.
Yeah, but you got like the best long burn type small stove going with the cat thing and all. Get it smokey and let it feast!

Status
Not open for further replies.