Overnight burns in a T-5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Last night the low temp was 24 so I loaded up the T-5 with all red oak. I woke up to the house at 78 degrees and a load of glowing coals 9 1/2 hours later.. To me this is way too warm but the stove air is all the way down. Seems my options are to run smaller loads or run less oak mixed with lighter wood. Overnight burns mean little if it's too hot to reload after running.. Anyone run into this problem and how did you resolve it? I am glad I didn't go with the T-6 as I'd get baked out of the house.. This is a pic of the coals 9 1/2 hrs. after loading..

Ray

Attachments

• 2011 12 11 003 (Medium).jpg
    2011 12 11 003 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 391
raybonz said:
Last night the low temp was 24 so I loaded up the T-5 with all red oak. I woke up to the house at 78 degrees and a load of glowing coals 9 1/2 hours later.. To me this is way too warm but the stove air is all the way down. Seems my options are to run smaller loads or run less oak mixed with lighter wood. Overnight burns mean little if it's too hot to reload after running.. Anyone run into this problem and how did you resolve it? I am glad I didn't go with the T-6 as I'd get baked out of the house.. This is a pic of the coals 9 1/2 hrs. after loading..

Ray

With experience, common sense, temp forcast and wind etc, you will figure it out.

But a couple ideas to dick with:
1. Don't "load it up with all red oak" when it is 21 degrees, maybe mix some other species of wood, or don't pack it to the gills
2. Reduce or shut off the blower
3. Nothing wrong with letting it burn out overnight -- ie for ash cleaning.
4. Check your thermostats, maybe one of your family members turned up the heat.
5. Sleep naked
6. Relocate further north than Taxachussets or Put an addition on the home

Jimmy Fallon Humor:
4. Be thankful that you have a reasonalbly sized, well insulated tight home
5. Be thankful that maybe your significant other got up in the middle of the night and put wood in the stove while you were dreaming of an "overnight burn" in the T5
6. Be thankful you didn't spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the T-6
7. Be thankful that you may not have to cut, split, and stack as much wood as you thought
8. Be thankful that you will not have to season for 3 yrs as much red oak as you thought

madison said:
raybonz said:

Ray

With experience, common sense, temp forcast and wind etc, you will figure it out.

But a couple ideas to dick with:
1. Don't "load it up with all red oak" when it is 21 degrees, maybe mix some other species of wood, or don't pack it to the gills
2. Reduce or shut off the blower
3. Nothing wrong with letting it burn out overnight -- ie for ash cleaning.
4. Check your thermostats, maybe one of your family members turned up the heat.
5. Sleep naked
6. Relocate further north than Taxachussets

Jimmy Fallon Humor:
4. Be thankful that you have a well insulated tight home
5. Be thankful that maybe your significant other got up in the middle of the night and put wood in the stove while you were dreaming of an "overnight burn" in the T5
6. Be thankful you didn't spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the T-6
7. Be thankful that you may not have to cut, split, and stack as much wood as you thought
8. Be thankful that you will not have to season for 3 yrs as much red oak as you thought

Thanx for the feedback madison! I have the blower at 25% speed and the temp is uniform between up and downstairs . Shutting the blower off will just make it hotter downstairs. Part of the problem is that nobody wants the cats in their room so they close the doors so that reduces the heat load somewhat. My T-stats are set at 62 not sure if they can even be set at 78 lol.. I already sleep naked maybe I need to remove my skin? Seems my only solution is to user less dense wood and/or a mix of the several woods..

Ray

I usually put some hardwood (Maple,Oak) and some softwood (Poplar,Birch) in a load. Mainly so I have hardwood all winter however the side effect is usually softer heat instead of an oven for a house. As for removing your skin thats just weird man you must teach me how. ;-P

Pete

The blower as you know, really increases the heat output of any type of heat exchanger.

We are lucky that our home has ceiling fans in every room and the great room has two. In the "shoulder season" I do not run the stove blower. But in January, the stove blower is on 24/7.

The blower is just another variable that you will learn to modulate with the amount and type of wood. ie (set the blower to less than 25% tonight)

Depending on your home layout, ceiling fans really do help spread out the heat, especially with cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan.

--> Push the cats out the back door when loading the stove for the night

Glad you enjoyed my early morning humor

Pete1983 said:
I usually put some hardwood (Maple,Oak) and some softwood (Poplar,Birch) in a load. Mainly so I have hardwood all winter however the side effect is usually softer heat instead of an oven for a house. As for removing your skin thats just weird man you must teach me how. ;-P

Pete

Yeah I was thinking of mixing in some pine or other lesser btu wood. I know one thing the T-5 is very capable of an overnight burn and then some! Going skinless you gotta consult Oscar Meyer on that one :)

Ray

madison said:
The blower as you know, really increases the heat output of any type of heat exchanger.

We are lucky that our home has ceiling fans in every room and the great room has two. In the "shoulder season" I do not run the stove blower. But in January, the stove blower is on 24/7.

The blower is just another variable that you will learn to modulate with the amount and type of wood. ie (set the blower to less than 25% tonight)

Depending on your home layout, ceiling fans really do help spread out the heat, especially with cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan.

--> Push the cats out the back door when loading the stove for the night

Glad you enjoyed my early morning humor

I have ceiling fans in the bedrooms as well as the livingroom near the stove.. I may further reduce the stove blower or turn it off for overnight burns.. This home has no vaulted ceilings so that's a non-factor here. The damned cats are indoor only cats so I am stuck on that one.. I am amazed how much heat this stove can put out!

Ray

Some of the suggestions were quite helpful, lol. Sounds like it's time to go scrounging fom some pine :bug: . I am still running full loads of pine and poplar in mine at this point and it is keeping the house perfect on about two loads per day. I loaded it up at 6:40 this morning and left for work when I got home I walked in the living room at 5:45 and looked at the stove and it looked almost empty with just a little bit of glowing in the back. I then looked indignantly at my wife and said why didn't you put more wood in the stove today. She quickly replied good grief how hot do you need it it's still 73° in here so I went to the stove and looked at it and the blower was still running and the stove top was 250. I sat down and ate dinner went and opened the stove up and there was still all kinds of coals for a quick restart. I can't believe how well this thing has been heating the house and the extra firebox size compared to my other stove is really stretching out how often I have to reload. The only thing I am struggling with is if I am home I'm just not used to seeing the inside of the stove so when it gets down to a big bed of coals I have to fight the urge really hard to stuff it full again as it will actually go hours upon hours on the bed of coals still pumping out heat (yes I have reloaded on huge beds of coals just because I couldn't resist and it got WAY to hot for me). On my other stove I only reloaded when the house temp started to drop as I couldn't see what the heck was going on inside of it. I don't think 11 hrs out of my stove with temps in the low teens to low thirties is bad at all!

certified106 said:
Some of the suggestions were quite helpful, lol. Sounds like it's time to go scrounging fom some pine :bug: . I am still running full loads of pine and poplar in mine at this point and it is keeping the house perfect on about two loads per day. I loaded it up at 6:40 this morning and left for work when I got home I walked in the living room at 5:45 and looked at the stove and it looked almost empty with just a little bit of glowing in the back. I then looked indignantly at my wife and said why didn't you put more wood in the stove today. She quickly replied good grief how hot do you need it it's still 73° in here so I went to the stove and looked at it and the blower was still running and the stove top was 250. I sat down and ate dinner went and opened the stove up and there was still all kinds of coals for a quick restart. I can't believe how well this thing has been heating the house and the extra firebox size compared to my other stove is really stretching out how often I have to reload. The only thing I am struggling with is if I am home I'm just not used to seeing the inside of the stove so when it gets down to a big bed of coals I have to fight the urge really hard to stuff it full again as it will actually go hours upon hours on the bed of coals still pumping out heat (yes I have reloaded on huge beds of coals just because I couldn't resist and it got WAY to hot for me). On my other stove I only reloaded when the house temp started to drop as I couldn't see what the heck was going on inside of it. I don't think 11 hrs out of my stove with temps in the low teens to low thirties is bad at all!

My CDW didn't put out 1/2 the BTU's of the T-5 so aside from the T-5 being easy to learn now I have to get the heat output under control.. Never expected to get 10-12 hr. burns with a non-cat either.. Right now it would be nice to have large seasoned pine splits which I do not have.. This would help keep the btu's down.. People give pine away here and even then nobody wants it so maybe I will grab some in the spring..

Ray

Mix the wood. And smaller splits mixed in will also reduce the burn time.

Hogwildz said:

Thanx for the input! I can only imagine the heat output of the T-6 if the T-5 can blow me out of the house..

Ray

This time of the year, I never stuff the fie-box, for that reason. Smaller loads will mean less heat and less coals in the morning. It is sometimes an fine line, but I think your problem is a good one to have. You can fix it. In the other direction........well, you are going to be cold :-S

Ray,

That's a nice burn!

What I'm doing with the Englander 30 is using large splits to maintain a slower burn vs smaller ones. They are just harder to burn through quickly and that both lowers the heat output and extends the burn time.

The dilemma with these secondary burn tube type stoves is that you can control the heat output via the load of wood, but you also shorten the burn time. In my case, burning two stoves give us an either/or solution. Sometimes we burn the Englander 30, other times the Keystone and when the temp plunges, we burn both - so far so good.

Good luck,
Bill

raybonz said:
Hogwildz said:

Thanx for the input! I can only imagine the heat output of the T-6 if the T-5 can blow me out of the house..

Ray

Loaded the Summit at 6AM, drove down to help Blue with his liner, got home about 8:30, and had bottom full of coals for relight.
Of course the house is only 65 though.
The beauty of having the capacity, is you can load smaller loads, or mix soft & hard wood for less heat. But its nice to know you can be gone most the day, and have colas to just toss a load in and she fires up.
I am still perfecting my burning with the Summit going on season 6.
Each year so far, I have learned more and more, and used less wood. And how to better control the stove.

leeave96 said:
Ray,

That's a nice burn!

What I'm doing with the Englander 30 is using large splits to maintain a slower burn vs smaller ones. They are just harder to burn through quickly and that both lowers the heat output and extends the burn time.

The dilemma with these secondary burn tube type stoves is that you can control the heat output via the load of wood, but you also shorten the burn time. In my case, burning two stoves give us an either/or solution. Sometimes we burn the Englander 30, other times the Keystone and when the temp plunges, we burn both - so far so good.

Good luck,
Bill
leeave96, Since my new stove install back last February, I have hoped for the same thing. So far, so good. I can't wait for really cold weather to see how 2 stoves do. When it got really cold, my old Buck struggled. But this time of the year, I couldn't hold it back enough to keep a fire going and keep it from getting hot in the house. So far this year, when it isn't too cold, I burn the little Hampton......it is perfect. It has dipped to the teens once and I fired both and the "Commish" thought 80 at bed time was a little much :lol: I think it is a pretty good indication that when it goes single digits, I am going to be cruising in good shape without having to fight it like I used too. Really likin it so far!

Hogwildz said:
raybonz said:
Hogwildz said:

Ray

Loaded the Summit at 6AM, drove down to help Blue with his liner, got home about 8:30, and had bottom full of coals for relight.
Of course the house is only 65 though.
The beauty of having the capacity, is you can load smaller loads, or mix soft & hard wood for less heat. But its nice to know you can be gone most the day, and have colas to just toss a load in and she fires up.
I am still perfecting my burning with the Summit going on season 6.
Each year so far, I have learned more and more, and used less wood. And how to better control the stove.

Amazing burn times! Certified106 and BeGreen get similar results with their T-6's.. I didn't realize a secondary burn stove could get such long burn times until I got the T-5.. The weather has been mild this year so far so this doesn't help with my learning curve.. The good part is not one snow flake here so far :)

Ray

leeave96 said:
Ray,

That's a nice burn!

Good luck,
Bill

Thanx Bill... I have tried large splits but they are mostly red oak so they burn hot too.. The consensus here is to burn less wood in one load, use large splits, mix hard and soft woods, mix in smaller stuff to reduce burn times.. Based on all this information it's seems like keep playing with it to see what works for you..

I read here the NC-30 gives similar results to the T-6 so you should ready for just about anything weatherwise there in Va.

Ray

So here were my results from today.....
Knowing that it was going to hit 40° today in the late afternoon I got up and loaded the stove at 4:45am (22°) with half cherry and half pine, had the stove shut down and was headed to work by 5:30 this morning with the house at a nice 73°, just got home at 6pm and the house is 67° with the stove top at 168-189 depending on where you shoot it with the IR thermometer, the blower was running when I walked in but I'm not sure if it was cycling, plenty of coals to rake forward and spread a good 2" deep bed across the front of the stove, loaded 5 splits in it and 5 minutes later it's starting to catch really good. This thing is by know means a Blaze King but I'm definitely happy with the performance and have no complaints.

Part of the long coal life I feel is the way the stove burns from front to back.. This leaves the hot coals pretty far from the air source and they live a long time with just enough air to stay alive.. I don't have much cherry and pine so I can't make the claim with the T-5. I burn harder denser wood so it's not a fair comparison of burntimes between T-5 and T-6 (of course the T-6 is 50% larger so it will burn longer).. The thermal mass of this stove stores and releases heat for many hours after the fire has burned down much better than my CDW did.. The cast iron panels on these stoves is heavy and while they do not get extremely hot they absorb very well..

Ray

raybonz said:
Part of the long coal life I feel is the way the stove burns from front to back.. This leaves the hot coals pretty far from the air source and they live a long time with just enough air to stay alive.. I don't have much cherry and pine so I can't make the claim with the T-5. I burn harder denser wood so it's not a fair comparison of burntimes between T-5 and T-6 (of course the T-6 is 50% larger so it will burn longer).. The thermal mass of this stove stores and releases heat for many hours after the fire has burned down much better than my CDW did.. The cast iron panels on these stoves is heavy and while they do not get extremely hot they absorb very well..

Ray

Yeah I agree with what you are saying I think they hold coals for a very long time in the back of the firebox and then release heat vie thermal mass. I bet it takes those 5 splits I put in to really heat the whole mass of the stove back up good. and then I will load it for the night on a nice coal bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.