Overnight Temps...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
Now that I've got my new pellet stove and looking forward to my first full winters use, I'm becoming a little more concious/aware of temperature drop inside the house compared to the outside temps. Almost 13 years ago we purchased this house which was built as a summer cottage in 1960. Since then, we've stripped every wall to the outside sheathing and installed 2x6's and now have R-19 in the walls. The house was originally 1100 sq.ft. of living space and we've added an addition (with garage underneath) and it is now 2150 sq.ft. (2x6 walls). All Anderson windows and doors, Tyvek wrap and new vinyl siding with a minimum of R-30 in the attic. There is still a lot of work to be done and about 50% of the house sits on a crawl space and I haven't insulated the floor yet.

Anyway, here are the times and temps (inside and outside) last night with no heat on:

8:00 p.m. inside - 73 / outside - 58
midnight inside - 72 / outside - 53
5:00 a.m. inside - 68 / outside - 45
7:00 a.m. inside - 68 / outside - 48

I can only hope these numbers are worth all the work we've done, but do these numbers seem reasonable?

Steve

Attachments

• House_May07_1_cropped_ss.JPG
    House_May07_1_cropped_ss.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 479
Shortstuff said:
Now that I've got my new pellet stove and looking forward to my first full winters use, I'm becoming a little more concious/aware of temperature drop inside the house compared to the outside temps. Almost 13 years ago we purchased this house which was built as a summer cottage in 1960. Since then, we've stripped every wall to the outside sheathing and installed 2x6's and now have R-19 in the walls. The house was originally 1100 sq.ft. of living space and we've added an addition (with garage underneath) and it is now 2150 sq.ft. (2x6 walls). All Anderson windows and doors, Tyvek wrap and new vinyl siding with a minimum of R-30 in the attic. There is still a lot of work to be done and about 50% of the house sits on a crawl space and I haven't insulated the floor yet.

Anyway, here are the times and temps (inside and outside) last night with no heat on:

8:00 p.m. inside - 73 / outside - 58
midnight inside - 72 / outside - 53
5:00 a.m. inside - 68 / outside - 45
7:00 a.m. inside - 68 / outside - 48

I can only hope these numbers are worth all the work we've done, but do these numbers seem reasonable?

Steve

Pretty much mirrors mine up here in Pittsfield. My house was built for electric heat and is well insulated.

Got down to 47 last night here in SE New York...brrrrrrrr.

I wish that last piece of stove pipe would get here :down:

Not made it down here yet, it just got dark out and it is 83 degrees now. Hot and Humid :coolgrin: and @ 90 today. some 60's sound pretty good right now :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.