Oversize stove for the heating area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Did some major renovation to my house this year and my Buddy "Fat Burt" helped me..... big time, so I gave him my unused Englander 13 (rated for 1800sqft)

Here is my question... His house is about 1000sqft and has no insulation in the walls and very little in the ceiling.

How do you Guys/Gals split your wood for over sized stoves in your homes?

Will he just get blown out of the house? :cheese:

He has a ton of seasoned 16" wood but its split for his Parent's Englander 30

Maybe it will be better to stay with larger splits, for slow and low?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,Hiram

I grew up in SE Michigan and I remember the winters being pretty cold. With a largely uninsulated house he likely won't get blown out by the 13 in the winter. In the shoulder seasons he can just fire it up once in the morning and once at night if he's too hot rather than burn it 24/7. The 13 is a fairly small stove, so I wouldn't use too large splits in it. Once he gets in going he can just shut it down and it will cook along nicely. I find the larger splits don't burn as well in my PE Vista insert (which is smaller than the 13--1.5 cf vs. 1.8 cf) since I can only get a couple of them in it at a time.

Big splits help. Also when someone is home, just toss a piece of wood or two in every couple of hours. Fill it with larger wood at night for the longer burn when it wont be so bad if that one room gets hot. You can control the heat going into the bedrooms by how open you keep your doors. There is only so much heat in a stick of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.