Oversized Harmon stove owner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that;s true but, since no one is downstairs for 7 hrs, we set thermostat down to 55...prob comes on couple times a nite maybe more.
Was your heat oil before pellets? if so what is the oil cost in your area?

Was your heat oil before pellets? if so what is the oil cost in your area?
still use oil for hot water.. have a summer/winter oil furnace..
last oil drop was Sept 17th 3.55 gallon..have a 275 tank with 165 gallons left.. just measured it 2 days ago.

still use oil for hot water.. have a summer/winter oil furnace..
last oil drop was Sept 17th 3.55 gallon..have a 275 tank with 165 gallons left.. just measured it 2 days ago.
I also use oil to heat my water and the price is about the same.
The average oil boiler Firing rate for residential is 1.1 gallons per hour. Mine is .90 I use about 1 gallon per day to get hot water
If your Furnace is coming on a few times a night for heat 20 minutes at a time That cost is almost a bag of pellets.

It may be cheaper to let your stove run at a low temp. Yes you will burn more pellets but your furnace wont call for heat.
Just my own opinion but it works for me:)

I also use oil to heat my water and the price is about the same.
The average oil boiler Firing rate for residential is 1.1 gallons per hour. Mine is .90 I use about 1 gallon per day to get hot water
If your Furnace is coming on a few times a night for heat 20 minutes at a time That cost is almost a bag of pellets.

It may be cheaper to let your stove run at a low temp. Yes you will burn more pellets but your furnace wont call for heat.
Just my own opinion but it works for me:)
actually, it comes on a few times a night for hot water.not heat... runs maybe couple minutes.

ok.. ran it in stove temp/#2[65-70] and went thru a bag in about 14 hrs..Energex pellets/Harman P61A.
house stayed around 73-74.
Gonna try room temp with same settings to compare pellet usage..
keep in mind it's poorly insulated so the fire never will go out t be re-ignited right now in COLD Pa.
so assuming I'm not taxing my igniter during that time..is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.