Overtemp Buzzer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSaupe

Dec 8, 2007
Southern Adirondacks NY
Anyone know of an audible overtemp device that might be available for use on a wood stove?

Something like a temp detector with a buzzer or something when things start to get too hot.

Many thanks,

Larry S.

Get ahold of WES999. He's a member on here and puts together alarms.
Got one from him last year and I'm very glad I did.
It alerted me last night about 10:30 as I was dozing on the couch waiting for the stove to come up to temperature.
Some people make their own but electronics isn't one of my things.
I pick and choose what technolgy I succumb to. I still don't have a cell phone let alone an I phone (?) but
this alarm is priceless for me.
I try not to depend on it totally but it does take away all of the angst.

I rigged one of my magnetic thermostats up to a doorbell and it worked. It wasn't pretty though.

Wet1 said:
Kenny, any pics of the setup you have?

No but there's some floating around here.
Mine is the same as the e-bay listing but it was mounted in a project box with an on/off switch and is 110v.
He offered options and I chose the magentic sensor for the flue pipe. Strong magnet, it won't fall off when the pipe gets hot.
I'm pretty sure it was also cheaper than the e-bay one.
Personally, I don't think a couple hundred bucks is too much to spend for all the piece of mind it gives me.
God knows I got enough to be paranoid about already.
I'll try for pic.

WES999, do you sell you temp alarms or a parts list so I could put it together? Thanks Fespo

Here's a pic I posted the other day in a different thread. I have two PID temp controllers (search eBay, $40 ea) rigged up to a 3-15v piezo alarm buzzer ($4 at mcmaster.com) with a 9v battery to run the piezo buzzer. The controllers have relay outputs that handle 3A, so you can just run the alarm thru that without an additional relay. Works great, and the alarm is quite ear-piercing! One controller monitors the stovetop, the other the flue pipe.

oct2009_008.sized.jpg

If anyone is interested in a temp alarm I have one already built, for sale. PM me and we can discuss the details.

BTW here is a vid I posted on you tube of the alarm in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMpyJ6c150

international5288 nice setup you have. A few suggestions for upgrades, check out http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home they have some low cost piezo alarm buzzer that run on 120VAC you could get rid of the 9 volt battery.
For a few bucks more you can get one with a flashing light.

Also you could add a relay and a push button switch to silence the alarm, it would reset when the alarm output turned off.
I have this feature on one of my temp alarms, it is very handy.
see pic

Attachments

• img_switch_vs_ots.gif
    img_switch_vs_ots.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.