OWB add blantently claims EPA approved OWB that burns green wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
This is an add in a Farmer's Magazine I got in the mail today.
The dealer add states this EPA qualified outdoor wood boiler burns green wood.
I wonder if the EPA and Heatmor know of this sales practice.

Attachments

• OWB ADD.jpg
    OWB ADD.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I'm guessing... no.

While clearly misleading, I don't necessarily see the two statements as entirely contradictory. It says they have an EPA Qualified boiler - probably true. They say it can burn green wood - Could be true as well. They imply, but do not say that it can pass EPA emissions standards WHILE burning green wood now eh? I seriously doubt the EPA has any sort of test for burning green wood and if OWBs even have an EPA test protocol I'll bet it is much like wood stoves and uses dried wood to standardize the fuel.

Much like the "EPA Exempt" statements on many stoves - doesn't say anything good about the stove or anything, but folks then can choose to say "hey, the EPA is good with it so it must be good"

Marketing is often times the 'art' of stating facts in creative contexts to allow the audience to read or hear what they want to while not giving clear cause for intervention by regulators.

I know the EPA was working on regulations for OWBs to pass certain emssions also. I know at least one maker does have one with a secondary burn system.
Don't matter how great a secondary or cat system is on one, if they burn green wood, that thing will have no efficiency, and bet it will still smoke like a pig.

Depends on how they are defining "greenwood" also. If you buy a "green car", does that mean it is the color green or that it is easy on the environment? (hybrid )

Green wood ( to them ) may mean an ecologically sound source of energy (GREEN). Not green as in unseasoned.

Or not
.;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.