OWB, gasification, etc. I am so confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I learn...the more questions I have!! PAPROUD, how did you settle on the OWB that you purchased? Did you consider the gassifier in an enlcosed shed of some sort? Regarding storage systems....exactly what does "open to the atmosphere" mean? The tank has no top???? I really like the idea of a gassifier, mine would have to be 100' from the house with storage in my basement and I guess I'll need to build a small insulated enclosure for it unless I go with the "outside" type...but it seems that's really new and maybe still has some growing pains to go through?

muncybob said:
Regarding storage systems....exactly what does "open to the atmosphere" mean? The tank has no top????

It has a "lid" to for protection and insulation, but the seal is not water-tight, so the system cannot be pressurized.

muncybob said:
I really like the idea of a gassifier, mine would have to be 100' from the house with storage in my basement and I guess I'll need to build a small insulated enclosure for it unless I go with the "outside" type...but it seems that's really new and maybe still has some growing pains to go through?

Some. Econoburn (bottom banner) will be coming out with an outdoor version soon. It's literally just the indoor boiler, with a custom-designed metal shed that is set up to allow the unit to be properly serviced. So, you don't have to build one, yourself, and you know you will be able to properly clean it each year.

Joe

Indoor vs outdoor for Tarm, Eco etc. just has to do with what kind of building you put the boiler in. If it's indoor, house or garage, if outdoor a shed, metal building, whatever. Makes no difference. The only important thing is that an "indoor" boiler needs protection from the weather, and an "outdoor" boiler comes with a weather protecting structure.

I have a shed 120 feet from the house and after figuring cost for running the pipe I went with the OWB and put it 30 feet from the house. My neighbor and I were just outside covering the ditch, he has a tractor, and complaining about our 200-300 bucks/month spent on electric for heat pumps this year and our 3-5 dollar a gallon price for propane. Like I said earlier, wood is cheap and easy for me so the outdoor burner made more sense. If I had more money and thought it was worth it I would have bought a gasifier, but I did what was best for me. Go look at every type of unit and most importantly, get it from someone who use what you are buying and that you trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.