OWB Minimum Distance From Barn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brock

Oct 19, 2011
MI
Hi, I have just purchased a new OWB and will be installing it about 150' from my house next to a pole barn. My wood is going to be stored on the back corner of the barn in near the OWB location. I would like to have it 10' away from the barn, do you guys think this will be safe? By the way I am pretty familiar with Outside wood burners so I'm not a total newbie.

Which way is the prevailing wind? Where are any possible sparks going to go? What do you store in the pole barn? Is it insured, and what does your insurance company think? Can you afford to lose it?
As a Fire Chief I firmly believe in Murphy's Law (if you are not familiar, do a web search). At 10 feet, it is very possible for a spark to get onto/into your pole barn. Be prepared to lose it, especially if the prevailing wind will push possible sparks in that direction. Unless it is all metal sheathed, and you do not store hay or other readily combustable materials, I would think twice about the OWB location.

Your insurance rep might be the best source for that information. If you don't get a reasonable answer (some of them don't really know and are no less than frustrating to talk to) talk to people in your area that have OWB's and see who they have their policy under.

I will add a picture. It is a wood frame with steel siding barn. Prevailing wind will blow smoke away from the barn. It is insured and has misc. tools and such. I will call my insurance company to see what the think. Just looking for some real world comments.

Thanks

Attached picture. Stakes show where I am thinking of putting it. Wood will be behind building where lawn mower is now. The plan is to extend roof 10' to cover wood, but leave sides open.

Attachments

• 2011-10-22_12-18-11_128.jpg
    2011-10-22_12-18-11_128.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.