OWB, Pine vs. Oak ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Comng up on the end of my first year running my Hardy H2. Always heard over the years that oak was the absolute best and pine is crappy. I have been burning some pine lately and I'm not sure oak is so much better in an OWB. Anyone else noticed this ?

Don't burn a boiler but I've been burning spruce for about 2 weeks now. Heating up the house well.
I know it dries faster & turns to ash better than the birch.
Might be the pines is just drier than the oak. Lots more BTUs in Oak than pine.
For hotter , longer fires I still burn the birch when it's cold out. (teens & lower) 37°f now :) Spruce is doing a great job.
Would love to try a load of dry Oak, but shipping charges are a killer LOL :lol:

bogydave said:
Might be the pines is just drier than the oak.

Or perhaps they're both green, in which case the pine will burn better than the oak.

bogydave said:
Don't burn a boiler but I've been burning spruce for about 2 weeks now. Heating up the house well.
For hotter , longer fires I still burn the birch when it's cold out. (teens & lower) 37°f now :) Spruce is doing a great job.
Would love to try a load of dry Oak, but shipping charges are a killer LOL :lol:

Here ya go, OK not seasoned yet but will be in two years once I get er cut and split.

Ten cords of red and white oak mix, 70$ cord delivered. Ya shipping might be a problem for you, the logger only lives about five miles from my place. :)

Attachments

• wood 2-17-12 web.jpg
    wood 2-17-12 web.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 599
Well pine will burn real hot for a short period of time, the Oak is way more dense so a different animal, and like others said if green the Oak will be a bear to deal with.

broken knee--decent price on the wood. Last fall, hardwood mix was going for $90 around here.

I see you don't have much white stuff on the ground, either.

smokingout said:
Comng up on the end of my first year running my Hardy H2. Always heard over the years that oak was the absolute best and pine is crappy. I have been burning some pine lately and I'm not sure oak is so much better in an OWB. Anyone else noticed this ?

I have only had the opportunity to burn a couple pieces of hemlock rounds in my owb, and that was during the earlier season. I collect/buy only hardwood since it is so prevalent in this area. But, I gotta admit, I was impressed at how long the hemlock did last in the owb!

As far as pine goes, again, i only had a few splits (for the nc-13) that were given to me, along with some oak. I did prefer the oak to the pine. (A widow wanted her wood piles cleaned up from her yard and offered me the wood)

yooperdave said:
broken knee--decent price on the wood. Last fall, hardwood mix was going for $90 around here.

I see you don't have much white stuff on the ground, either.

Nope not a lot of snow, even though don't mind winter it is kind of nice to have an easy winter every once in a while.

brokenknee said:
bogydave said:

Here ya go, OK not seasoned yet but will be in two years once I get er cut and split.

Ten cords of red and white oak mix, 70$ cord delivered. Ya shipping might be a problem for you, the logger only lives about five miles from my place. :)

I have been scrounging all my wood up and usually get decent stuff. I see a lot of guys getting log loads delivered to the house and that must make processing a lot easier

RORY12553 said:
brokenknee said:
bogydave said:

I have been scrounging all my wood up and usually get decent stuff. I see a lot of guys getting log loads delivered to the house and that must make processing a lot easier

I live on forty acres, mostly poplar and pine. I do harvest some of the poplar, but at seventy bucks a for a loggers cord for hard wood I think it is well worth it.

smokingout, just remember that pine is fine. It will burn good but not give as long of a fire as oak. If you are burning green wood like most seem to do with the OWB, then pine would be a better choice because you lose a lot of energy just getting the oak to burn.

I'm starting to think certain types of wood burn better in certain stoves or boilers.
I've been burning pine since the first of November, for 2 days I burned hardwood and was not impressed even though it had been seasoned for two years.
I went back to burning the pine and will give the hardwoods another year to season.
Maybe it's just my stove, I have a big firebox and pack it full every time and can get 8-9 hours with the pine.

Broken Knee - after killing ourselves scrounging last year cutting and hauling wood my wife and I have decided we are gooing to get a grapple load or three like you have there - how to you move the logs off the pile to cut them?

ruserious2008 said:
Broken Knee - after killing ourselves scrounging last year cutting and hauling wood my wife and I have decided we are gooing to get a grapple load or three like you have there - how to you move the logs off the pile to cut them?

I start cutting right were they lay, when I need to I take my tractor and move them with the front end loader. I suppose if you needed to you could just knock them down with a bar, but you have to be very careful as you never know how many are going to roll.

One thing about the logger loads is most will require a full ten cord load. My guy will deliver a five cord load to me, but that is because I only live about five miles from him.

I haven't started cutting that pile up yet. Was working this morning getting some of the poplar the power company took down along the road of my property. It was a little wet this fall to get them out, I would have had to take the long way around. Figured I best get them while I could, five inches of snow "suppose" to be coming in.

Here is what I was doing this morning, have some cut and split but not all of it.

Attachments

• wood 2-20-12.jpg
    wood 2-20-12.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 266
Status
Not open for further replies.