OWB Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suxatpball

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
Going to install an outdoor unit, want to place it somewhat close to my house for ease of access. So my question is how far from my home do i need to place the unit so that i dont have to run tripplewall above my roofline?

Hi, Welcome to Hearth, Have you read the threads on OWB's? A gasifier is a much better investment. Before you smoke out yourself & neighbors you might want to consider a gasifier. Good luck with your choice, Randy

Sounds like a local code question.

(hoping the earlier comment relates to lack of neighbours)

The best answer is to call up your homeowner's insurance and ask them how far away to put it. They'll have a minimum distance for you.

I would suggest going at least 30' away, however. Wind shifts, and OWB's can make a good amount of sooty smoke when they first fire up after a long idle. You don't want to smoke yourself out or blacken the side of your house with soot. Another benefit to being a good bit away from the house is if you want your wood pile (whether stacked or piled) near the OWB. If you keep wood during the summer, critters like to nest in it, slither around in it, or use it as a breeding ground. You don't want those critters coming into your house uninvited.

My OWB is about 65' away from the house, through about 80' of underground line. It's not far to walk to it and I can drive my truck up to it and unload wood in my pile. I get no smoke near the house, but I can see whether it's idling or burning from my back room.

How about a gasser in a small shed? $3500. on EBAY right now, 500 gallon propane tank used around $500 ( new $1300), Shed $1500, plus lots of extras. This should be around the same price as a smoke dragon , use less wood, and heat the shed. My shed will actually be a heated greenhouse. I plan on tomatoes year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.